100 gallon fish only saltwater tank...first saltwater tank ever

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

trenton

AC Members
May 4, 2012
hello everybody, i am new to this site and this is my first post. i recently did a 10 gallon nano reef on my own and realized that it was too much work and my water parameters are going crazy. i just bought a 100 gallon tank and i am going to use my 10 as a sump. any ideas for a good substrate.. i am using a artificial live rock insert that is currently being made. any ideas would greatly be appreciated on stocking and everything that will make this easy. thanks

mbd521

AC Members
Jan 23, 2009
Akron Ohio
For substrate everyone has recommended to me a sugar fine aragonite sand! Takes some time to clean and about 3 days for it all to settle, but looks beautiful.... As far has how much...I think 120 lbs or so would do good for about a 2-3 inch sand bed.

Have read that a 10 gal sump doesn't really contribute to much to a tank. But don't take my word for it, I am a newbie to with salt water... Actually still don't have any fish... LOL.. I would probably just use the 10 gal for quarantine/hospital tank!

As far as stocking goes, with a 100 gal you could do so much!! Go to liveaquaria.com and look at the different fishes they have to offer...and good info on them. Pick a few that you like and ask about them on here!! Many people will be willing to give you awesome advice!!!

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
+1

A 100 is a very nice tank I will admit. As for substrate.... I have very fine aragonite sand and it keeps ph steady at 8.3 although if a powerhead or any critter stirs up the substrate, oh god it's a sand storm in my tank. But once you get te power heads where they need to be then it's not a huge deal.

Stocking suggestions... You have a lot of possibilities; tangs, some triggers, lionfish, eel, butterfly fish, maybe an angel I'm not sure I haven't read alot on them.

As for a sump I'm gonna be absolutely no help with those.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Use a mixture of grain sizes. Get a bag of sugar and some slightly larger. Aragamax Select or Seafloor Special Grade size. The mix will be good for sand dwelling critters and fish. It will also help control sand storms. +1 to using a bigger sump (biggest you can go). Gonna be a stretch to fit a 100+ gallon skimmer in a 10 gallon let alone add baffles and a return pump.

trenton

AC Members
May 4, 2012
the 100 gallon tank that i got yesterday turned out to be a 55 gallon. and also do i really need a skimmer for a fish only?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
No you don't have to have a skimmer but it can certainly help. Water changes will be you best friend. Other options would be a large refugium or algae turf scrubber to handle excess nutrients.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
A 10 gallon sump will definitely not work for a 100g, and is not a good idea for a 55g still. A skimmer is not a neccessity, but it is nice to have. I would reccomend getting one. Have you thought about what livestock you want in the tank?

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Wow, 100 gallons that's a nice starter size, thats a 15 gallon water change once a week! It will not be cheap btw, I suggest you go and look for stuff on Craigslist. (I'm starting a 75 gallon FOWLR, I'm getting a snowflake moray eel and a volitan lionfish)

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
the 100 gallon tank that i got yesterday turned out to be a 55 gallon. and also do i really need a skimmer for a fish only?
A skimmer depends on the fish you get, messy and a highly stocked tank will probably need a filter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store