2nd L-18 has died

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

isellcars

AC Members
Mar 5, 2012
This is my second golden nugget to die on me. They have plenty of food and more then enough places to hide. None of the other fish bothered them but I have not had one that has lived more then 2 month. My parameter in my tank seem fine but my ph is near the 7.5-8. You think I would have better luck with actual co2 instead of excel? I also have a clown pleco and a bn and they are doing just fine. It's only the golden nuggets that I have problems with and the one I really want.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
It seems to me with the gold nuggets that an older well established tank is better suited to them. I'm not sure why it makes a difference, but just from experience and from when I sold them.

Do you have driftwood in the tank? They do need that.

isellcars

AC Members
Mar 5, 2012
I have a huge piece of driftwood in the tank. I want another one but I think you might be right about an older running tank. I think I will wait until I get my co2 up and running and I know exactly how to do everything. I will miss them they are really cool to watch and with the lunar lights the colors really pop.

fishnfreak

AC Members
Aug 5, 2011
Ivenever had any luck with L numbers and pressurized co2 I think it's because they require flowing highly oxygenated water. Too much co2 and they will sit with noses out the water.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Added Co2 should normally not be an issue as long as O levels are kept up. Nor is big current needed. The fish can handle it but dont have to have it. They do need adequate O no matter what flow rate.

One of the best L number breeders I know specializes in Hypancistrus a warm water pleco. All his breeder tanks use sponge filters. Not much strong current there.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
same here, im sure u don't need flow as much as just the O2 in the tank...sponge filters would be great and cheapest as they would bubble up enough O2 i assume^

isellcars

AC Members
Mar 5, 2012
So far me BN, clown and 2 pitbull plecos are doing great. I want another golden nugget but I have read they need to be in well established tanks. So I think I will try again in maybe another 6-9 months. I really like the gn and hope it will be a third time lucky.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store