What are the ideal tank proportions for a turtle?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
I have read a number of forums as I try to learn how to take care of "Franky", my 1.7" baby red ear slider (RES). As I studied pictures of the full grown turtles and learned about their habits, it seems to me that the average 50g, 75g or any size fish tank is not really the ideal size for turtles to be able to have healthy activity. It is convenient and cheap to be able to buy these already made fish tanks...but what are the ideal tank proportions for a turtle tank?

My guess so far is that the length of the tank is far more important than the height, and that the depth (front to back) is more important to a turtle than it is to a fish, and is also more important than the height.

If I had a full grown RES, at about 10", would a tank that is 6 feet long (1.8m), 24" deep (front to back, 60cm) and 14" tall (35cm) be adequate/idea for the turtles activity needs? Most of the 6 ft tanks I have seen are 20" tall and 20" deep. I know that one of the reasons for using larger tanks is because of the fact that turtles drink the water that they swim/excrete into, and that more water means that the turtle is more likely to be drinking cleaner water. My desire is to connect this tank to an aquaponics system, so that the water is going to be constantly cleaned. It is also easier to maintain a tank that is 14" high than one that is 20", and is easier to catch the turtle.

valous

Registered Member
Aug 9, 2009
Assuming that you have a male red ear not female for 10". With my experience a 180 which is 6'x2'x2' tall is good for 1 or 2 res. Get the extra height and build an above basking area. Using a plant filter will go along ways in helping keep u tank clean.

Sent from my DROID2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
Longer is good...I am wondering about how high the tank should be? I am thinking that the width (front to back) should be 3-4x the width of the grown turtle, so that s/he has ample room to turn around and chase an occasional fish around. Should the tank be 4x the height of the grown turtle? any rules of thumb like this?

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
The longer and the deeper the better as it is with any type of animal habitat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store