What do moss balls do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
They can use nitrates and provide oxygen to the fish like a plant. Just make sure to turn them every so often so that all sides get time in the light or they will rot on one side. They aren't a true moss but a type of algae. They do have some benefits to a tank. If you aren't thrilled with their shape you can open them up and spread them over a rock. Tie it down with some nylon thread or fishing line and they look pretty cool.

This is one growing over a rock in my tank. It's now about plate sized and I never have to turn it. VERY slow growing but I like it this way. This is probably close to a year old

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1336239358.062008.jpg

Chickadee

Snail addict
Dec 26, 2010
Traverse City, MI
Heyyy, now that's an idea! Great pic! I love moss - just confused by the spherical shape. Food and snail waste are always gathering around it and I'm always having to move it around to clean up. Do they grow that way naturally or are they shaped that way? So how do I open it up? Just take the scissors to it? I'm redesigning my tank today so I'll see what I can do with it. :)

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
They naturally grow that way. They come from currents that constantly rolls them around forming them into a ball. I just put my fingers into it and very slowly pulled it apart. It will even stretch a bit. It will kind of remind you of a wet loose woven felt. You have to tie it down well or it will float back up but it eventually grow over and cover the string you use so that it is not noticeable.

Edit. It never really latches or grows onto the rock. So make sure the string isn't one that will break down in water. It will grow larger and cover the rock though. Just slowly.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
It's a moss ball, how much can it possibly do? lol

Callmeconfused

The sad effect of sleep deprivation
Jul 25, 2010
Gainesville, Florida
Real Name
Kimi
Mine provides hours of entertainment to a bored betta that likes to push it up a little bridge and watch it roll down. Right now it's pretty light from all the air in it, so all she has to do is bump it and off it goes!

rollinghills

Registered Member
Aug 16, 2011
They can use nitrates and provide oxygen to the fish like a plant. Just make sure to turn them every so often so that all sides get time in the light or they will rot on one side. They aren't a true moss but a type of algae. They do have some benefits to a tank. If you aren't thrilled with their shape you can open them up and spread them over a rock. Tie it down with some nylon thread or fishing line and they look pretty cool.

This is one growing over a rock in my tank. It's now about plate sized and I never have to turn it. VERY slow growing but I like it this way. This is probably close to a year old

When you flatten it does it root in the substrate or will be remain free flowing forever?

Edit: ok n/m saw you answered it above.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store