Nitrite and Nitrate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evanklee55

AC Members
Feb 19, 2004
Visit site
What is Nitrite and Nitrite? How can you lower the levels of these? Please i need help. They are to high. How can i lower these levels? And what causes these levels to rise?

Last edited:

Hound

AC Members
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
Nitrite and nitrate are natural chemicals in the cycle of a fish tank. About the best way to control them is through water changes. Generally speaking you should change out about 20% of the water in your tank every week using a gravel siphon. If your tank does not have an established cycle you will probably have some levels of ammonia and nitrite showing. Once your tank establishes the proper bacterial levels for the amount of tank residents you have ammonia and nitrite should read zero and you will have nitrate present in your tank. Regular water changes are about the best way to combat nitrate in your water.

Essentially speaking the cycle is fish make waste, waste breaks down into ammonia, ammonia is eaten by bacteria that gives of nitrites, nitrites are eaten by bacteria that give off nitrates. In nature nitrates are taken care of by an abundance of plants and algae. In a fishtank such an amount of plantlife is just not practical so you must do regular water changes as part of your tank maintenance.

victimizati0n

AC Members
Feb 23, 2004
Visit site
Originally posted by evanklee55
What is Nitrite and Nitrite? How can you lower the levels of these? Please i need help. They are to high. How can i lower these levels? And what causes these levels to rise?
your tank is still cycling.

Nitrite controls the ammonia population, and nitrate controls the nitrite population.

Nitrite is poisonous to your fish, while nitrate is not (at low levels)

A water change will lower nitrate levels, but i would wait a little bit so your tank can get done cycling.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Fish get rid of nitrogen-containing waste largely in the form of ammonia (NH3) mostly via the gills. Other nitrogen-containing waste as ammonia comes from bacterial action on undigested or unabsorbed food passed through the fish's gut, from bacterial action on uneaten food, etc. Ammonia is highly toxic. Bacteria oxidize ammonia to nitrite, still highly toxic. Other bacteria oxidize nitrite to nitrate, which is far less toxic than either of the other two preceeding materials.

If your tank is showing nitrite there is not enough of the bacteria present oxidise this material - either because the tank is new and not established, or because something destroyed the bacteria. Water changes should be done enough to bring the nitrite to harmless levels or your fish could be injured or killed.

Nitrate if the final oxidation product in tanks for nitrogen-containing waste. If may be consumed by plants or algae, but in fish-only tanks is best controlled by water changes. There can be no "set" or predicted percentage change - every tank is diferent, depending on bioload and feeding. You need to measure nitrate and do partial changes to keep nitrates below 40ppm, better below 20ppm.

HTH

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store