Whats to much light for a toadstool?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I put a smaller toadstool in my 10g nano last week. I'm wondering though if the lighting maybe too intense for it, the reason being with the night light led's or just the 2 actinic's running it stands upright but once my 2 12000k also kick in it kind of wilts over to the side. 96 watts total (2 460nm 2 12000k) its about 15" away from the lights. I'll have to either rescape or stick it in the back of the tank to put it in a more shadowy area.

Didn't think to snap a couple before pics earlier but here it is leaning over otherwise looking healthy.
IMAG0054.jpgIMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0054.jpg IMAG0050.jpg

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
No idea what too much light is for the toadstool but it looks really cool!

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Not really any such thing as too much light for a toadstool. Mine is growing like a weed right below a 250 watt halide. They are shallow water corals. Not sure why it's tipping over, though.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Actually, many soft corals are able to tolerate and may even prefer more light than many hard corals. It's obviously more complicated than that, but it gives you an idea. "Toadstool" leathers are often found with more light-demanding hard corals in the wild, but not every specimen necessarily is. They are fairly tolerant of a variety of conditions, but should be acclimated carefully in brighter situations.

As far as your specific case, it may be too much at once. Try to raise the light fixture if possible. If not, then try using some screen to shield the tank or the area of the coral. They also appreciate decent water motion--try directing more in its vicinity and see if it fares better in the daylight hours. It also helps them deal with the metabolites of photosynthesis and dealing with excess light without slow acclimation.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'll try some screening to reduce the light its getting. It does seem to of grown some already in the week that its been in there. The tank has pretty good circulation going I don't think I'll be able to increase what its getting without blowing sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store