snails in the sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sbazain

sbazain
Apr 4, 2012
miami
Real Name
sergio bazain
Need to get the algae out of the sump walls don't want to loosen all that and my return pump pick all that up and send ti to DT so I rather give them food and they do the job what does the forum think

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Shouldn't be a problem, I keep a CUC in my 55g sump/fuge. Depending on your setup I'd just make sure you have intakes screened off or other preventive measures so noone gets sucked up and causes blockages.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
So long as we're on the topic, does it really matter if you leave the algea growing in the sump? I have never even bothered to clean the walls of the sump for 7 months now.

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
I would not add snails to sump. Next thing your tank will be fill with snails. Just cover up your sump with a black plastic trash bag or something to reduce the light. It should work better than having snail pest. But if you decided to just add snails. I would go Malaysia Trumpet Snails they to eat plants. No pond snails.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Algae on the walls won't hurt anything. But keep an eye on your equipment since algae on the equipment can reduce its effectiveness.

Snails in the sump won't hurt anything though, as long as they can't get in the equipment (which they shouldn't be able too anyways). Otherwise another solution would be to turn off the return pump when you clean the algae off.

I would not add snails to sump. Next thing your tank will be fill with snails. Just cover up your sump with a black plastic trash bag or something to reduce the light. It should work better than having snail pest. But if you decided to just add snails. I would go Malaysia Trumpet Snails they to eat plants. No pond snails.
I doubt the snails will fill the tank. "Pest" snails won't survive long enough to breed in a saltwater sump. :laugh:

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
^Tell that to the baby red banded trochus that I have to pull out of skimmer every month :). If you have a sumerged drain line, don't put snails or crabs in your sump. If you have a baffled area with a fuge, hermits will be ok as long as there is nothing for them to climb over the baffle and then get into your return line. If there is a way to get into a drain, a smail or crab will find there way to it.

sbazain

sbazain
Apr 4, 2012
miami
Real Name
sergio bazain
is not that I mind the algae because really is not doing anything to DT it changes color every week sometimes is red then green then brown now I have less than about a week ago is a constant change my thing about the snails is just to control it the chaeto is doing its job because the nitrates are at zero and the phosphates have to be at 0 because no algae problem in the DT sand is clean .Now just can't get that purple coralline algae to grow would it be that i have to doze mag couse my cal is at 440ppm although i have olive green coralline algae on the back wall and the overflow

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If you have green coraline, conditions are right. The purple (and orange/red and yellow) will come. Just be patient. Don't dose Mg (or anything) without testing for it first. If this is a new tank, I would be surprised if you had to dose anything at all. Regular water changes with a good salt mix should be all you need (especially if you don't have corals or just have small frags). Algae like chaeto should be trimmed to complete the nutrient export process. If the algae become too matted it can potntially do more harm that could (i.e., detritus trap).

sbazain

sbazain
Apr 4, 2012
miami
Real Name
sergio bazain
thank's for the advise day by day I see that this hobby is all about a lot o patience and you'll get there

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store