Oscar...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Southern Rebel

AC Members
Apr 28, 2012
Alright for years I've seen heard how cool Oscar's are and have such great personalities...I have a empty 75gal I am putting sand in and I have driftwood pieces and fake plants...was gonna do a community of angels, corys, tetras etc...then I saw a youtube video of a tiger oscar and it was so pretty to me and it was playing and what not..are these true wet pets? I know I can only keep 1 in a 75 gal by itself and I have to take all my plants out..that's fine...so my question is...are they pretty cool? I work 9 -15hr a day in my office at home the tank is beside my desk..so he'd have a lot of attention...another thing is do I just buy one at petsmart or petco? I mean if i'm gonna get 1 fish only I want a very good breed of an oscar...I can pay up to 300$ for 1 fish...idk about diff kinds and if the ones at petsmart/petco suck or what...just saying if I did get an oscar (1 fish for my tank) I'd be willing to pay big bucks for a healthy one..if needed...(they may all just be cheap 5$ fish idk...) anyways thanks..

p.s. forgot to add I have a 30gal sump on this tank, with a very powerful pump...filtration should be fine I would imagine...btw do I need a 125 gal to house 2 oscars?

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Oscars are cool. I keep mine in a 100 with a Bonsai Flowerhorn and a Blood Parrot. He is more like a dog than a fish. You can tell when his feelings are hurt, you can tell when he is pissed. You can tell whatever mood he is in, and they can spend a good deal of time begging for food like a dog. I love mine. I really don't think you need to spend big bucks on an Oscar. I got mine at PETCO and he is awesome. I think the problems come more from people not realizing that they have to do more frequent water changes and REALLY take care of them. I can tell when my water quality goes down because my Oscars fins frey. You have to be supercareful with these creatures. They are very sensative to conditions. If you plan to keep anything with him, do it early on. Mine get along very well as adults, but that is only because I brought them up as juvenilles together. They do occasionally have a tif. but nothing that lasts too long. Anyway FAR more fun than tetras.

Southern Rebel

AC Members
Apr 28, 2012
I was gonna keep 2 in a 75...but read that it would probably do better by itself, and have more of a personality..ill probably just do 1 oscar :) the tiger is my fav looking one

Southern Rebel

AC Members
Apr 28, 2012
On MFK I posted the same topic..people are saying I can keep 2 adult oscars in a 75..saying I can get 4 juvies and at 5-6" pick the 2 I like and rehome the other 2 (my lfs will take them) so I may do this...I will keep researching thank you, also what about decor..I have pool filter sand..and 2 large driftwood pieces, i'll take 1 out, or just take both out? one has sharp edges on it....but do oscars really want a tank with just sand? lol...

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
You have to be a little bit careful with Oscars as they tend to bang into things alot . You really do not want anything that can hurt them in the tank. They need things to look at and play with, but nothing sharp. As for rehoming, it is hard to find homes for fish that need 100 gallons to swim in minimum. I kinda come from the school of though that when you get something it is for life, that goes for fish too.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
No way I would do 2 in a 75 due to territory concerns. For 2, you are better off with at least a 6' tank. I've kept 2 in a 100 (6') with a 50 gallon sump without any problems. I have a single Oscar in a 90 gallon with a rather large pleco and a pink convict. They squabble over territory every now and then. For decor, the only thing in the tank is some gravel and a large piece of driftwood that gets shoved around the tank from time to time.

They are generally a one-person fish. The territory that they claim extends beyond the limits of the tank and if you enter into that territory they beg for attention and food. You have to resist the urge to feed them when they beg. Once a day is plenty. They will pout and sulk when they feel you have been ignoring them or do something they don't like. Mine likes to bite at me when I clean the tank and sees it as an invasion into his home. He has managed to draw blood a couple of times (LOL). He squeezes up to the glass and I pretend to pet him and after a few seconds he swims off quite happily. I cannot pet him inside the tank for some reason. So we do it his way.

Tanks require a quality cover as they will jump and often bang the lid. I use 2 Emperor 400's for filtration and change 30% or more weekly. He kept yanking the extensions off the filters and I finally gave up and left them off - round 2 to the Oscar. There is no other decor in the tank and it seems to suit him just fine. Most Oscars prefer a solitary existence and no decor. Quality food and clean water is a must.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
execuzzzme is pretty spot on.... I still think that if they are brought up as juvenilles with other fish then they will actually like them. My fish genuinlly seem to like each other. They are always rubbing up against on another and loving each other up. Maybe I just got lucky!

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
Mike "Captain America" Houston
I would def go with an Oscar. I may be a little biased because I have two and they are part of the family as opposed to just "fish" in my room.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
jeff rapps has some good stocks, and i would only do 1 oscar. maybe get a smaller cichlid? like a male convict or salvini? and yes they do have great personilty!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store