Picked Up New Bettas!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tootie123

AC Members
Apr 21, 2007
So I decided to get new fish since I havent had any since we moved in last year. I had a male betta previously but he didnt survive the move so I wanted to see about getting a new one. I went to the local pet store and ended up coming home with two!! Im actually planning on going back tomorrow to get two females.

Currently one male is in a 5 gallon all to himself.

The other is in a 2 gallon all by himself.

I have a 10 gallon that I want to divide and put two males in eventually (maybe the ones I already have).

Are female bettas as entertaining as the males?

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I love Bettas. They are all very entertaining.

tootie123

AC Members
Apr 21, 2007
I was also wondering if anyone had any experience with the top fin aquarium dividers. I want to divide the 10 gallon that way I can move my two males to the 10 gallon.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
Congrats on your 2 new bettas. I have a female betta, and to me she is entertaining and beautiful. The males always get the most praise because of there long flowing fins, double tails etc..but the females are just as beautiful. Not sure about the top fin dividers, are there any other types of dividers?

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Congrats on your new bettas! If you don't mind a small suggestion- pick up 4 or more females, and keep them in a 10 gallon tank (or larger) together with NO males. The females have a tendency to be just as aggressive as the males, and if there are only 2, you very well may end up with only 1. Set up your tank with very heavy cover (plants, rocks, caves, etc) so there are a lot of hiding places, and introduce your females all at the same time, along with any other tank mates you might want to have with them in there BEFORE adding the ladies, so they are part of the environment upon introduction, and not targets for territory disputes. Get ready for some squabbles and ripped fins- have a couple of breeder nets on hand, to separate if necessary, too. Do it over a weekend, or when you have a few days off to keep a close eye on them, and can intervene if they start going too far. They should settle down in 3 or 4 days a good deal, and be pretty much peaceful with one another within a week or 2. If you have a male in the mix, their aggression may never settle, and they may keep fighting each other or kill him... or he may kill them. I have a 10 gal sorority tank up & running now, for about 4 mos... they are quite pretty and enjoyable after the initial pecking order & territories are setup. You need more than 2 of them, though, to disperse the aggression, or it is likely to just be a deadly fish fight. You can NOT do the sorority set up with males, and add a bunch to disperse aggression- they will all kill each other. Not that you were going to try it, I just didn't want my message to be applied to multiple males in a tank, as well... that is a big no-no. Only works with the ladies.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Very nice, I take it that is your new divider in the 10 gallon tank. Looks great.

tootie123

AC Members
Apr 21, 2007
I noticed when I was feeding them yesterday that one of them will eat the pellets then spit them all out and try to get them as they sink to the bottom. He really only managed to get about 2-3 of them before they sank. Im really worried that he isn't getting enough to eat. Should I try something different? He seems to be content. They have made bubble nests and both have gotten use to the sight of each other since their temporary setups are next to each other. Im planning on moving them into the 10 gallon either today or tomorrow.

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
I noticed when I was feeding them yesterday that one of them will eat the pellets then spit them all out and try to get them as they sink to the bottom. He really only managed to get about 2-3 of them before they sank. Im really worried that he isn't getting enough to eat. Should I try something different?
If he eats them off of the tank floor, I wouldn't be worried about it! Are you pre-soaking them? Sometimes they don't want them until they are already soft. It took all of mine a couple of days to get used to eating the pellets, and they can be kind of picky about trying new things. As long as he is eating them after they hit tank bottom, I wouldn't worry about it! From my experience, bettas can be pretty picky eaters, though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store