skimming

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sbazain

sbazain
Apr 4, 2012
miami
Real Name
sergio bazain
what's best wet skim or dry skim I changed my skimmer from the DT to the sump before it was wet skimming all the time now in the sump is dry it skims a lot but dry does it matter or it has to be wet I see a lot of videos and all I see is wet what's your recommendation:uhoh:.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I don't think there is a definitive answer bit if your tank is healthy, thats all that matters. If you have a heavy fish load and/or feed a lot, a slightly wetter skim might be the way to go. I only have 5 fish and run mine fairly dry. Takes about a full week for my skimmer cup to fill up unless I clean the neck mid-week (fills up quicker when it's clean). To me the drier skim feels more productive simply because of the nasty froth an coloration of the skimmate. Nothing beats a bubblin' cup of dark roast skimmate :).

sbazain

sbazain
Apr 4, 2012
miami
Real Name
sergio bazain
thanks for the quick responce. Feed every 12 hours and all the par's are at 0

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sounds like what you're doing is working. Remember that a wet skim will also pull more water so if you may need to reduce the amount of FW top-off water you add so you don't lower your SG too much over time. It would take quite a few full cups to make a difference even on a moderately sized system but it can happen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store