Adding angelfish to tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cholie

Registered Member
Dec 6, 2011
I 'adopted' a 30 gal tank with 1 angelfish and 1 cory from a family member about a year ago. It now has 1 angel, 5 corys, 1 raphael cat and 3 serpae tetras. I've been wanting to upgrade to a larger tank for awhile and have decided on a 120 gal. I'd like it to be planted with a few pairs of angels (I have really enjoyed my adopted one).

Anyway, my question is - can I put new (young) angelfish in the 120 gal tank with the fish I already have? My current fish is a few years old, fully grown and has never acted aggressively towards his tank mates. If I can put them together, who should go in first or how should I go about introducing them? The 30 gal is staying set up, so if it isn't doable the older fish can stay there...

Also, any other tips on setting up a tank for angel fish would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to breed them, just raise them :)

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
As long as the new angels are smaller than the one you have now, there should be no problem adding more angels, because being smaller they present no threat to it. Taller plants instead of short spreading ones. Angels like to swim in and out of them. I with I could get a bigger tank than my 75 gal. but not sure the floor would hold the extra weight, lol.

HybridHerp

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
New York (Long Island)
I have one 4 year old angel and I am planning on adding more angels with him
I am thinking of putting between 3-5 angels in with him, and I want all of them to be comparable in size to him
I'm not worried about new angels giving him a hard time, since I already manages to get by with a huge blood parrot, geophagus brasiliensis, and 3 rambunctious rainbow cichlids
my concern is more with putting new angels with an already established angel
back when it was just him with a second angel that he happened to fancy (never bred though and lost her in an ick outbreak :() I tried throwing in a third that he just attacked relentlessly
back when I bought him, it was him, the one he came to fancy, and the alpha male
my angel got ride of the alpha male by pulling his eye out and leaving it to dangle and not letting him leave the corner until he died
angels...are not exactly angels lol

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
If you put angelfish that are the same size as him in the tank , more than likely they will gang up on him and bully him as not being a part of the group. Small angels grow very fast, and soon you will have an established school with your 4 yr. old as the unquestioned leader, with no problem. I have some that in 2 weeks have doubled in size, the little piglets eat everything, and beg whenever they see me.

HybridHerp

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
New York (Long Island)
I just added 2 new Angels the size of the original and 3 smaller ones
They seem to be getting along with the original showing them that he is boss lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store