School Bullys!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

staygreen

AC Members
Mar 10, 2004
San Diego CA
Visit site
I just stocked my 15g planted tank with 7 "silver tip" tetras ( around 1" in size). At first they were schooling very nicely but this morning I noticed that some individuals were getting pretty agressive! Chasing and nipping the other ones...

they are not really in a school any more and are acting pretty territorial...

Did I overstock my tank?

I'm thinking about picking out a couple of the most aggresive and moving them to another tank.:rolleyes:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
That is pretty normal. If you take out the aggressive ones then another fish will step it up. As long as they don't actually damage each other it is the way they establish their pecking order. I am watching my super peaceful white clouds showing of to each other right now. And the fact that they are not schooling is a sign that they are comfortable and don't feel threatened which is why they school in the first place.

staygreen

AC Members
Mar 10, 2004
San Diego CA
Visit site
New Info!!

The "aggressive" behavior between the seven silver tip tetras that I bought three days ago turned into spawning yesterday!!!

After adding a gallon of RO and having the light on for a while, I noticed lots of activity in the tank. At first I thought it was just going to be more chasing , but this time it was different....
I could now clearly distinguish between the sexes by their behavior and appearance: the males were protecting territories against each other and their orange coloring was almost glowing.
Whenever a femal happened into their area they would chase alongside her and try to push her against the leaves of a plant or into the java moss. A couple of times pairs would nudge their way into the middle of clumps of moss, where I could see tiny eggs being laid.

So anyways, I'm very glad that I know the reason for the aggression I was notticing...I figure that if these fish are already spawning on the second full day that I have had them then the tank must be OK.

As far as the recently conceived babies...I will see if any can survive the nibbling of their parents and the dwarf gourami...;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store