Multies in a 10?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
Sorry, I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find the thread.

Club auction is this weekend and the kids are interested in shellies. The auction is usually good for a bag of multies or two, but right now my immediate space is limited to an empty ten. Is this doable for a small harem? 1 or 2 males tops? I'm keeping my eye open there for a 20 long as I think I can squeeze one in if the price goes right.

I've heard up to 10 multies in a 10 gallon, but that seems like pushing it.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
if can be done, sure. Get yourself a good canister filter and personally, I wouldnt put more than 6 in a 10.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
According to the Cichlid world it is ok to do, also note this same website says you can do 2 angels, 8 harlequin rasboras, and 3 yoyo loaches in a 29 gallon which I believe is way to small for those large fish. But I agree I think you can get away with them in a 10 gallon. They are very small fish and when hiding in the shells they don't take up a lot of room, as long as they have there own territories.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_10g.php

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
For a 10gal i would do no more than 5 Multi's as for a 20gal long i had a colony of 40 in there and they did fine, sponge filtration and weekly water changes was enough for my 20gal long and never had an issue til my heater stuck on the high setting and cooked my fish.

A Maxi - Jet 600 with a sponge on the intake worked great..

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Although you can technically fit many more in a 10g than 5 fish, you have to factor in aggression and LOTS of babies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store