BN Pleco Id Verification, Please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AaronMB

AC Members
Mar 17, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
Aaron
[I've been lurking for a long time and finally have an excuse for a meaningful post!]

Though I'm new to Pleco identification, I felt confident enough to take this guy--gal?--home a few weeks ago. But as I read more and come across more pictures of the various BN Plecos, I'm a little concerned that this isn't actually a BN; it's about 2.5." What say you, Pleco-heads?

Thanks!

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
looks like a gibby to me(Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps)
They get to 18" plus

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
I agree with fish-n-chips. Definitely not a BN. What did the LFS label it as?

AaronMB

AC Members
Mar 17, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
Aaron
Man....

The non-big box LFS labeled thing guy as a young Bushynose. Obviously, I didn't my homework well enough, or wasn't paying close enough attention: after I pointed out the "Bushynose" tank the fish-guy walked away to get the tools and I walked away to look at plants...it could have been a mislabel, or perhaps the salesman pulled from the wrong tank (their selection is huge, with many tanks, several with different plecos side-by-side). Lesson learned.

So! This little fella needs a new home. Candidly, I wear my heart on my sleeve and I'm torn between taking him back (where he could be re-sold under the same mislabel) or trying to find a local home for this soon-to-be beastie. Enable me here a little, please: what would you do?

Thanks, Fish-n-Chips, and Sora, for the info.

EDIT: the profile pictures of the Gibby do indeed match well with my pictures above. Thanks, again.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Return him and get your money back or trade to get a real BN. It may be hard to give away the pleco as they do grow big and no one really has a big enough tank for it. Best to research and look up pictures before buying anything. Were there other plecos in the same tank that looked like this one or were they actually BNs? I find my LFS mislabel a lot of their stock too. That's why I haven't bought any fish locally in years as I wasn't sure if they were the correct fishes.

AaronMB

AC Members
Mar 17, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
Aaron
Thanks again. We're going for a drive this evening.

I'm pretty sure they had plecos that look like some of the young BN (small, without bristles) I've seen here; I'm kind of doubting myself now, but I do vividly remember the appropriate label on one of those tanks.

AaronMB

AC Members
Mar 17, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
Aaron
Well, the pleco is out of my hands - tank, rather... Poor guy.

Long story short: despite explaining their mislabel and politely showing the LFS folks that there were, come to find, three different pleco species in the "Bushynose" tank, they refused to do anything but give me store credit for 1/3 of what I paid ("policy"). The particular salesman even suggested that he "got crap" from his boss for giving me the store credit (which is weird, because I had just been told it was their policy). Hmm. Another lesson learned. It's a shame, too; my wife and I went out of our way to shop there, rather than the big box stores which are cheaper, cleaner, and several miles closer. I'm sure the big box store(s) would not have given us any trouble, either. lol. Ah well.

Thank again, for the help. I appreciate it.

EDIT for posterity: I'm certainly no expert, but not quite a rookie to FW or pet stores in general, but I still should have known better: just because it's not a big box store with a stereotypical bad reputation, doesn't mean the grass is necessarily greener inside. ;)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store