Convict Cichlid Breeding (black & pink)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

velvetsand

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Michigan
Real Name
Kristin
I was reading through some posts about breeding convicts and I've bred them Many times, but I never knew they were egg layers! In all the times that I've found broods of baby convicts, I've never noticed eggs beforehand. I now have two female black convicts and one male pink convict. Are they not breeding because there are two females? I had the two females first, and when I realized that they were Both females, I got the pink male. He was smaller than them at first, but he is now a bit bigger, but not nearly as fat. As I said, I've bred them many times, (never had a pink convict before though) so I do have many places for them to lay their eggs, which seem to be invisible to me. Any tips?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
If you have gravel substrate you are just fine. The female will lay eggs on the glass and when ready, she will move them to a pit in the gravel. A simple cave is to use a clay flowerpot. I get all my "caves" from goodwill - they were fancy candle holders once upon a time. But for 50¢ why not? They look better than clay pots. I either lay them on their side or turn them upside down. Sometimes I cut the clay pots in half for 2 caves. Turn the opening away from traffic so that they feel a little protected.

Females will have pink or orange on them. Males won't.

velvetsand

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Michigan
Real Name
Kristin
It happened!!

One of my black females and my pink male's eggs hatched! They are keeping them safe in a castle. Since one parent is black and one pink, what type of offspring will I get from these?

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
One of my black females and my pink male's eggs hatched! They are keeping them safe in a castle. Since one parent is black and one pink, what type of offspring will I get from these?
you can expect some of both white and black cons out of the fry.

manda321

AC Members
May 15, 2012
Got to see pics of those fry when they get bigger

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Congratulations. I have a male and a female that for some reason won't breed. I find it very frusterating. She spends most of her time chasing him around in circles. I am glad that you had success.

manda321

AC Members
May 15, 2012
I also have a breeding pair of black convicts.

manda321

AC Members
May 15, 2012
Congratulations. I have a male and a female that for some reason won't breed. I find it very frusterating. She spends most of her time chasing him around in circles. I am glad that you had success.
Want to know the trick. Set the temp to 82f, feed frozen brine shrimp cubes and make sure you have something for them to lay their eggs in/on flat stone or a small tiny flowerpot. The first batch or two of eggs might not hatch but for sure you will soon have babies! If I was home I'd get a pic of my fry for you but out right now when I het home I'll put some up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store