Red Honey Gouramis

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
I have two red honey gouramis in my 29 gallon and I've been searching for info on them. I can't seem to find any pics to compare males and females. I'm pretty sure mine are both males, but I'm not positive. I assume that all the ones at the store were males since the males are supposed to be more colorful.

Can anyone help me out with pics or at least some info? I would like to breed them eventually, but will have to try and find a female or two if mine are in fact males. I plan to set up a 10 or 15 gallon for this purpose.

These fish are great!!:D
I love the color of them and they are quite active too.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
You would have 2 males. From what I understand most fish stores do not bother to carry female dwarf gouramis as they are not very colourful fish. You will probably have to find a breeder somewhere. Sorry I don't know if any.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Females are usually extremely gray-silver, they shouldn't have very much, if any orange pigments on their fins and body.

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies!

They must be males, just as I thought. I have a feeling my search for females is going to be a difficult one. I had never seen or heard of the red variety until these fish showed up at the lfs.

tawnylane

AC Members
Dec 5, 2003
Louisville
Visit site
Don't know your location of situation - but there is one lfs here in my town that can and will order dwarf females. Check all the smaller stores - maybe one will be able to help:)

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
many of our local Wal Marts seem to be carrying females. We picked one up that was a pearly grey color and couldn't find out what it was for a long time. We were finally told it was probably a female after describing it to someone. We have since seen several more showing up in the local wal marts and even a few in local LFS's and they also said they were females. Kyle

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store