My tanks paremeters, ph a bit off

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
So I tested my water today and came up with salinity, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate all being fine. However, my pH came up somewhere between 7.8 and 8.0, which is lower than the recommended 8.2-8.4. All of my fish and all of my corals except for my elegance(just added this one though) are doing great. Do I need to take any action to correct this? If so, what do I need to buy or do?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Whats the ph normally been on your previous tests? If its stable I wouldn't be to concerned about it.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Whats the ph normally been on your previous tests? If its stable I wouldn't be to concerned about it.
pH won't really be stable, at least not in an established tank. Very minor things, including naturally occurring events, can and will shift pH. As long as it stays within a relative range, it shouldn't be an issue.

If inhabitants are not reacting to the pH, I wouldn't be overly concerned. What point during the day did you take this reading? Try also testing just before the lights shut off during the day and again in the morning just before they come on. That will give us a better idea of the range your tank experiences. It ideally shouldn't drop below, say, 7.7-7.8. The ocean averages around 8.0 right now, with drastic variances in different habitats.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
To be just perfectly honest, I have not been keeping up with testing my water's parameters (except for salinity) since everything seems to be going so well. I should probably make it a habbit to test once a week though...

Anyways, the last time I checked my tanks pH was back in october. At this time the tank had just completed its cycle over a 4 week period and the ph was 8.0-8.2. Of course from that time till now, Ive been 95% religious with water changes and added livestock slowly. I havn't dosed any chemicals or anything either.

I took the reading about 3 hours ago. the lights come on in about 3 more hours and stay on for 8. I had no idea the pH could vary between the time of lights shutting off and before coming on. I probably wont be able to get to it today because of mother's day plans, but I will def check this out tommorow.

Thanks guys!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Honestly I don't test my ph all that often either generally when I do its with in +/- .3 area. Yeah ph will shift between day and night as well, thats why alot of people will run their display and fuge lighting on opposite schedules to prevent spikes.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
That ph is fine.

As much as there is a defined range, it takes a lot to push a marine tank out of the 7.7+ range. Between the salt water itself, the rock and possibly the sand, there should be plenty of buffers. If you have enough surface agitation then that is a fine range for the tank.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I can't remember the last time I checked the ph on mine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store