Question about African Lake Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I have a friend who has a grooming store. Another friend gave him a 75g setup.
First he wanted 2 Oscars and I talked him out of that. Now the woman who set the tank up for him said he wants the really "colorful" cichlids. I am thinking it's the yellow labs etc. from the rift lakes in Africa. I'm trying to talk them out of getting them since they know nothing of this type of fish. I also read they need a higher PH and different water not a regular fresh water tank. They seem to think that if you get them young they will acclimate to a regular ph. The question is am I right? Don't these fish need higher PH, a more alkaline water? I want him to have a nice tank in his store but have fish you can take care of properly,jmo, maybe I'm getting to silly over this. Then the woman setting up the tank for him is saying all she has to do is add baking soda or something like that to the tank as a buffer and it'll be fine?

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
Yes, African Rift Lake Cichlids require hard alkaline water. They are also fussy about water quality, so not a good choice for someone just starting out keeping a tank. Baking Soda will not work or at least not completely. It will get the PH up there(you have to be careful with baking soda as it's a very powerful base), but that doesn't actually satisfy getting the rest of the water parameters right.

A properly setup 75 would be an impressive display though :)

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
actually, african cichlids ( tank bred, not wilds ) are not that picky about PH or any other water quality ( just keep the tank clean ) they can live fine in PH of 6.0 up to 8.0 and KH/GH doesnt matter to.. just acclimate them correctly and you will be fine. well he will be fine.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Thanks fermentedhiker, I thought that was the story. It would be an awsome tank I'm sure, but if you're starting out at least get something you can handle. He wants something cool!

Thanks livebearerfreak, if they insist I'll mention that to them.

DrgRcr

AC Members
Dec 17, 2008
Central NJ
What are the water parameters like where they are at? As mentioned, they will adapt to a large variety of water conditions. There are many people who add a mix of Espom salt, Kosher salt, and baking soda to buffer their softer water in order to keep rift lake cichlids. But if the numbers are reasonable, stability of them is more important than the perceived "right" ones.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Well, at least you talked him out of 2 Oscars in a 75. That would have been a disaster!!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Tank-bred africans (which most are) are usually pretty easy about water params. If you are nervous, get him to toss in some Texas Holy rock or crushed oyster shell.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Instead of crushed oyster shell use crushed coral sand will be better..

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Well you know how people are, you just want to help and make sure they can enjoy and healthy tank. And I certainly know how hard it is at the begining. He got 2 Oscars, 1 JD and one other fish I can't remember now. They're small now but eventually they will out grow that tank. He said he can return any fish to the lfs he got them from...oh well. Hopefully everything turns out good!

Thanks Pitbull and RisiganL:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store