New Tankmate...9" to 12"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dopey

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
Scranton, PA
Visit site
Hi.

I'm looking for ideas for a new, largish "centerpiece" fish for my planted 90. Current residents of note are two large blood parrots and three adult angels. To give you an idea, here's my thoughts thus far:

- I don't want an oscar (sorry to offend, but I think they're rather homely.)

- I would love a clown knife, but I don't think he'd work out.

- A green scat would be perfect, but they're brackish, right?

- An arrowana would be beautiful but...well.... probably not.

- A fire eel would be interesting, but I'm worried about escape. (I'm converting to an open top this summer.)

- A snake head would get to large, and according to media reports would likely climb my stairs at night, disembowel me, seduce my wife, steal my car and empty my bank account.

Any other ideas?

Last edited:

NickH

AC Members
Oct 12, 1998
Morris Township, NJ
Finding a centerpiece fish that large will likely be hindered by the presence of your Angelfish. Put simply, the Angels will get harrassed/eaten.

Without the Angelfish, I would recommend a Severum or a Jurupari, or perhaps a Chocolate Cichlid.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
The only thought I've had is Green severum, nothing else around 12" will stand a chance of living in harmony with your angels. I am sure there are other options, but I don't know what they would be. Are your Angels fully grown?

I don't want an oscar (sorry to offend, but I think they're rather homely.)
No offense taken, I love them, but there are plenty who don't and plenty of fish other people like that I think are downright ugly.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd worry about aggression if the angels breed...And many of the other large fish tough enough to stand up to that would likely push you over the carrying capacity of the tank, or be so aggressive that they'd give the angels a tough time...Maybe check in the cichlid forum? Let me know, and I can move this over there for you.

There are some fish that might work in a group--silver dollars (if this is not a planted tank), or maybe tinfoil barbs--though they might be an overload in a group.

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
An oscar wouldnt work in a planted tank anyways so that out of the question.

- A snake head would get to large, and according to media reports would likely climb my stairs at night, disembowel me, seduce my wife, steal my car and empty my bank account.
You seemed to hove put enough thought into this one:D :laugh:

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
Originally posted by NickH
Finding a centerpiece fish that large will likely be hindered by the presence of your Angelfish. Put simply, the Angels will get harrassed/eaten.
Great call Nick. I couldn't agree more. One more thing that I would like to add is the fact that your tank is planted. Most cichlids will make short work of your plants. Either by eating them or by up rooting and destroying them. Severums are notorious plant eaters.

Twp species that would make a very nice centerpiece that can live with the Angels are:

Herichthys Pearsi - Nice looking peaceful fish. Downside will devour your plants.

Photo credit to Tangled up in Cichlids / Jeff Rapps

Or

GeopHagus Steindachneri: Red hump Geophagus. Very cool looking fish. Downside will dig and dig plants won't be safe.

Photo credit to amazon exotic import

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
geos are getting very big here ATM so id go with a balzini(spelling) or red humps they look so good and pput ur plants in pots or larger rocks around the base of the plants

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store