compatible cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

imamazeing

AC Members
Apr 28, 2012
canada
i have a JD cichlid who is around 7 and a half months old would a electric yellow cichlid be able to go into a 50 gallon with him:help2:
and what other cichlids would be good in a 50 with my JD cichlid

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
in a 50 gallon ( is it a 3 foot or 4 foot long tank? ) i wouldnt do anything other then maybe a male convict. now in a 3 foot ( 3 foot by 18 wide by i think 18 or 20 high ) i would only do the jack alone, if that, that may even be to small. but if its a 4 foot 50 gallon ( may be 55? ) i would do 1 jack 1 convict.. and add danios as dithers ( 8 )

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Jack Dempsey's are not a fish that plays well with others even from quite a young age. The minimum tank size for a single Dempsey is 55 gallons/210 Litres, and keeping a pair, even a breeding pair, should not be attempted in a tank less than 75 gallons/285 Litres. Bigger is always better fish with these fish, even more so that with other cichlids. Dempsey's are highly territorial and will take their bad temper out on tankmates if they feel that their territory is being "invaded". As these fish are not enormous in size, like many other extremely territorial cichlids, the amount of damage that can be done in each attack is not as severe, but with on-going beatings on a regular basis, even the hardiest tankmate will eventually succumb. If you would like to keep your Jack Dempsey with other cichlids, then it is recommended that you start with a minimum of a 100 gallon tank and keep your fingers crossed. As with many medium to large cichlid, getting your Dempsey to co-exist with other fish, even in a large tank, can be a bit of a hit and miss experience. Due to their pugnacious nature, there are some Dempsey's that just cannot be kept with other fish, no matter the tank size or tankmates attempted. If you are going to attempt to keep you Jack Dempsey with other fish, then you should be prepared to keep a very close eye on your tank for the first few weeks and be ready to remove the other fish if aggression ensues. It really comes down to trial and error with these fish, and be ready to have many trials before you find a workable combination.

loves Angelfish

AC Members
Sep 20, 2011
Michigan
Real Name
Jen
Jack Dempsey's are not a fish that plays well with others even from quite a young age. The minimum tank size for a single Dempsey is 55 gallons/210 Litres, and keeping a pair, even a breeding pair, should not be attempted in a tank less than 75 gallons/285 Litres. Bigger is always better fish with these fish, even more so that with other cichlids. Dempsey's are highly territorial and will take their bad temper out on tankmates if they feel that their territory is being "invaded". As these fish are not enormous in size, like many other extremely territorial cichlids, the amount of damage that can be done in each attack is not as severe, but with on-going beatings on a regular basis, even the hardiest tankmate will eventually succumb. If you would like to keep your Jack Dempsey with other cichlids, then it is recommended that you start with a minimum of a 100 gallon tank and keep your fingers crossed. As with many medium to large cichlid, getting your Dempsey to co-exist with other fish, even in a large tank, can be a bit of a hit and miss experience. Due to their pugnacious nature, there are some Dempsey's that just cannot be kept with other fish, no matter the tank size or tankmates attempted. If you are going to attempt to keep you Jack Dempsey with other fish, then you should be prepared to keep a very close eye on your tank for the first few weeks and be ready to remove the other fish if aggression ensues. It really comes down to trial and error with these fish, and be ready to have many trials before you find a workable combination.
I agree

midnightmadman

AC Members
Dec 21, 2005
I kept a convict in a 90 for years with a Jack Dempsey. They never fought and got along great! I had the JD for 8 years from when he was a fry. The convict was in for about 4 or 5 until I got rid of him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store