Yellow tang?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
What do you need for a yellow tang;
Diet
Aquarium size
Tank mates

I am getting a SW set up right now and I would like to ask people that I trust. From what I see the minimum tank size varies. I probably wouldn't get one but I would like to know what they need for the future. (my mom wants one and I need to explain what they need)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Last edited:

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
They need Nori, macroalgae or algae in their diet. Wouldn't keep one in less then 120g with a long footprint vs tall, tangs like to swim alot. They can be territorial with their own kind if you want multiples get them young and add them all at the same time.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Seems like alot for a 75g, get them all at once? But I'm no Tang expert the only Tangs I have any interest in is the Achilles or Purple and my 90 is to small for those

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
^Dont know about that myself. Personally I wouldnt do more than 1 yellow tang per 75 gal. Of course, its possible to make it work like fanatic did. I have one in my 90 gal corner that has been doing fantastic. The "recommended standard" is about 100-120 gallons like Squid posted, but IMO thats a really conservative guideline. I feed mine mysis and sometimes clip a fresh piece of lettuce which it seems to like.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
As long as the Tang is big enough to not be swallowed the combination should be fine. An especially aggressive and persistent individual Tang could be bad news for the Lion, but the odds are very much in your favor.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Seems like alot for a 75g, get them all at once? But I'm no Tang expert the only Tangs I have any interest in is the Achilles or Purple and my 90 is to small for those
Yes, I got them all at once and they were very small, about the size of a silver dollar. Thinking about it, I think the tank might have been a 90. Anyways, they were very happy constantly grazing the live rock for algae. I had them and a couple of Cole tangs and a few small Blennies. They were the "center piece" fish. The tank was designed for them.

I only fed the tank two times a day, twice a week. I think it was Tuesdays and Thursdays in the am and then again in the pm.

Yes, the tank was probably over stocked by todays standards, but they were healthy and happy.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
90 gallon would be my limit. Nori, mysis, enriched brine, flake and pellets. While one of the hardier tangs, still suggest a QT to avoid an ich outbreak.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I fed mine pure Spirulina flakes as well as the algae they use to make those sushi raps. Just soak it it water first and you are good to go.. Then once or twice a week I would feed them mysis shrimp. I kept mine back in the late 80s. There really wasnt that many options out there like there is today...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store