Sundew Ids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Hi, I'm hoping one of our CP people can id these two Sundews. Both have been outside in SE PA since mid April. They died back immediately but just as quickly regrew. They have been exposed to temps in the high 30s. so I'm leaning towards D. rotundifolia and D. filiformis, but I'm far from certain. Here they are, and TIA!

IMG_20120518_083234.jpg IMG_20120518_083242.jpg

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
To me i resembles D. filiformis but I really dont know. Never grew any bog plants before. Im more of a species lily guy myself. Good luck.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
The second one almost looks like capensis... but that doesn't seem right given the temps you specified.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
The second one almost looks like capensis... but that doesn't seem right given the temps you specified.
You may well be right, as coincidently I was at a friend's yesterday and he showed me his new acquistion of a pot containing a Pitcher and a Sundew which he got at a native plant sale, so his Sundew is definitely filiformis, and his definitely ain't mine! How cold hardy is capensis supposed to be? One consideration is that it's in a half of a black 55 gal poly drum filled with the damp mix so there's a lot of thermal mass there. I would suspect the root temps stayed quite a bit higher than the air temps.

Last edited:

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Oh yeah, thanks! I really should drink all my coffee before I start posting in the morning.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
If I remember right, it's typically a tropical plant but i also remember people saying it can grow into the upper 40'sF. I think the roots freezing would certainly kill the plant, but short of that maybe it really could survive those temps for short periods. I can attest that it's hardy as hell.

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
How do you keep carnivorous plants alive?!
I've visited so many websites and read five books about them. I can never get any to grow except for nepenthes. And they are absolutely fantastic!
So any tips would be helpful? Also, what kind of soil (peat, sphagnum, coconut fiber, ect.) would you use and how often do you water them? I have heard some varying things so I wanted to know for sure. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Mine are in a 50/50 mix of peat and sand in a 1/2 of a plastic drum. There's no drainage, but I did install a standpipe which has allowed me to siphon out water after heavy rains. Other than when I first mixed my soil I haven't had to add water yet, but I have had to drain some out on two occasions. The barrel is situated where it gets full sun almost all day long. I have the two Sundews, a Flytrap that's just about to bloom, and a couple of Sarracenia Pitchers.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
How do you keep carnivorous plants alive?!
I've visited so many websites and read five books about them. I can never get any to grow except for nepenthes. And they are absolutely fantastic!
So any tips would be helpful? Also, what kind of soil (peat, sphagnum, coconut fiber, ect.) would you use and how often do you water them? I have heard some varying things so I wanted to know for sure. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Lim very interested in this myself. I've never kept any besides the prepare tiny Venus flytrap in a bubble but I'm thinking it would be great to try as an adult. I didn't even know the plant in the thread was carnivorous until you asked about it lol

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Lim very interested in this myself. I've never kept any besides the prepare tiny Venus flytrap in a bubble but I'm thinking it would be great to try as an adult. I didn't even know the plant in the thread was carnivorous until you asked about it lol
Not sure what USDA zone you're in, but you can certainly find Pitchers and Sundews that can live outdoors year round. I'm in zone 6B and I should be able to winter over the Flytrap outdoors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store