Adding salt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
I have brackish fish and fish that can tolerate brackish water. Every time I do a WC I treat with salt for how much I'm putting in (it's API aquarium salt and the directions say "as a general stress reducer for fish add 1tbsp per gallon of water) instead of treating for the whole tank.

What I'm wondering is. Is there a time I should treat the whole tank over again or will a water 1-2 time a week of about 25% keep it up? I just don't really know if the salt finds its way out after a period of time and how long that takes.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Wrong salt for making brackish water. You want sea/reef salt. With the right salt, the salt content would stay and rise as water evaporates and you would top off with fresh water and add new salted water durring a water change.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
The salt will never leave the tank, so only add salt to the water YOU add to the tank either by python or topping it off.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Wrong salt for making brackish water. You want sea/reef salt. With the right salt, the salt content would stay and rise as water evaporates and you would top off with fresh water and add new salted water durring a water change.
A commonly held mistake. API aquarium salt is evaporated seawater.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
The salt will never leave the tank, so only add salt to the water YOU add to the tank either by python or topping it off.
Close, but not quite. Top off water should be clean fresh water, no salt. Only add salt when you remove water for your weekly water change. Since then, salt water is removed. Salt doesn't evaporate, it's always there until you remove it.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Close, but not quite. Top off water should be clean fresh water, no salt. Only add salt when you remove water for your weekly water change. Since then, salt water is removed. Salt doesn't evaporate, it's always there until you remove it.
Thats what I figured. I started to think 'well maybe the fish take it into their bodies' and it might lower that way so I wanted to check

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store