stand pipe / sump experts: opinions needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I apologize in advance for posting this over here in saltwater DIY, but I know you salty folk have a lot more experience with the sumps and standpipes than most over in freshwater.

I'm building a new paludarium, and am going to use a sump for filtration. The return line is aready drilled and fitted for 3/4" return line. I'll be using a pump that will run up to 336gph. The tank is less than 12" above the sump, and will have approximately 6" of water height.

I am trying to choose a standpipe/intake style and would love some input. Because of the paludarium build style, and inhabitants (baby crabs), I don't think I can use an overflow box, and need to screen the intake really well. Whatever I use will likely need to be out in the open, or easily concealed, as I've got limited floor space in the tank. I've been considering several things:

1. A standpipe overflow, consisting of a 1" pipe standing to a 1" to 1.25" reducing coupling that acts as a skimmer. I would then screen the top of that, or add a sponge or something to keep inhabitants out. (also considering trying a 3/4" pipe with a 1" to 1.25" reducer, but with orings inside so the coupling can slide up and down on the pipe to alter water height.

2. a side drilled 1.5" bulkhead with snap in screen, like one of these: http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=BulkheadFittingScreens . This would be the simplest look, easy to conceal, and would keep the crabs out. But I won't be able to easily alter the waterline, and am wondering if it will be too loud. I've been considering using a T on the outside of the bulkhead, with one end capped with an airline to reduce noise. similar to a durso, but outside the tank and not pointing down.

3. a straight up durso. the problems with this are no skimming action, hard to conceal, and hard to screen off for tiny crabs.

I understand why the first two options might be loud, but am wondering if that's less of a problem with so little vertical drop. From the top of a standard standpipe to the sump would be about 16", and I'm probably going to use hose from the bulkhead to the sump, so it won't be straight down.

Anyone who's worked with a lot of sumps, especially on shallow water tanks, please chime in!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store