Considering a new tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Right now I have a 92 gal corner. I am considering buying a tank to replace this one(all of the livestock, water, rock, sand, etc.would be moved to the new tank) The type I like the most are the bowfront tanks because they have that curved front look but they are still in the traditional rectangular shape for the most part. However, I've read that bowfronts have a center brace at the top that connects the front and back pieces of glass and that problems with this brace could mean structural problems for the whole tank.

Has anyone heard anything or know about this? If this is the case, Ill just look around for a traditional rectangular tank, probably the same size as my current tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Depending on the tank construction/size and thickness of the glass, I am of the belief that the frame work on a bowfront is much more critical than a standard flat front tank.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Alright that sounds kind of complicated, Ill just shop around for the traditional rectangle then.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Even most rectangle tanks over 40g or so have center braces now a days, more cost efficient for the manufacturers to use thinner glass and just add a brace to the frames. I've walked on a couple good craigslist deals cause when I got there I found out they had cut out the top brace.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I had a 55 that popped the center brace. In a matter of hours it was bowing like crazy. All of them these days have the center brace.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Did you want a long tank? Assuming you don't want to do a larger cube tank? The Marineland DD 150 is a sweet looking tank but it'll set you back about $1,000.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Even most rectangle tanks over 40g or so have center braces now a days, more cost efficient for the manufacturers to use thinner glass and just add a brace to the frames. I've walked on a couple good craigslist deals cause when I got there I found out they had cut out the top brace.
Wow you've actually walked out on deals because of the brace? I had no idea the brace was that important for rectangular tanks. It will be something I keep an eye out for now.

Did you want a long tank? Assuming you don't want to do a larger cube tank? The Marineland DD 150 is a sweet looking tank but it'll set you back about $1,000.
Definitely not interested in doing a cube shaped tank for 90 gallons, seems like it would be a major hassle to get my hands to the bottom if needed. The traditional rectangle 90 is what im interested in. I was thinking maybe even a 75 if I come across a good deal. I checked out the marineland dd and it is for sure one hell of a setup. Unfortunately it's not something I can even think about trying to afford right now. Im pretty much sticking to craigslist and just browsing for any potentially good looking deals. Looking to spend around 300-400 if its possible. But I think it is because I have seen some outrageously spectacular deals on craigslist in the past. Anyways its not a necessity upgrade its just a "if a good deal comes along" sort of thing.

Also I might as well ask now, are acryllic or glass aquariums the preferred for reefs? Does it matter?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Understood. Hope you find a good one!

Acrylic is nice because of the clarity but they scratch way to easily for my taste. I would say I see 10+ to 1 ratio in favor of glass in the hobby. Just my experience though.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Wow you've actually walked out on deals because of the brace? I had no idea the brace was that important for rectangular tanks. It will be something I keep an eye out for now.

Also I might as well ask now, are acryllic or glass aquariums the preferred for reefs? Does it matter?
The manufacturers dont put the braces there for nothing. If the brace is missing its possible to fabricate a new one. Most of the ones I came across with them cut away were used as reptile tanks so no brace plus being dry for a long time making the sealant questionable just makes it not worth the effort of having to make sure its ready to hold 100+ gallons.

Glass vs Acrylic my preference is glass, have to be very careful with acrylic scratches so easy when your trying to clean or scrape stuff off. Not to say I wouldn't buy acrylic if the price is right.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store