Lighting suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Partsman41953

AC Members
Sep 12, 2008
Hi all,

I am in the process of upgrading my lighting on my 28 gallon bow front salt water aquarium but until I can get the funds together I am stuck with what I have. My aquarium consists of sand substrate, live rock, orange mushrooms, pulsing Xenia, a yellow wrasse (when I have worms in the tank), 2 clown fish, and a small clean up crew.

My lightning consists of a 24" straight pin power compact fixture, Coralife, and a 2 bulb T5 HO fixture for my actinic bulbs. Since I am replacing the bulbs what combination would you recommend as I am trying to keep the green hair algae to a minimum and trying to get my corals to grow better. My water quality is good as I just had it checked at the local aquarium store recently and do water changes weekly.

Thanks

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
T5's I prefer ATI bulbs, Aquablue Special, Blue Plus, Coral Plus are good all good color choices. I'm clueless as far as PC lighting though, hopfully someone else can make some recommendations on that.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
You're pretty much stuck with daylight, actinic and 50/50 bulbs. I'd probably do a 50/50 and an actinic. If you plan on getting more stoney corals, go with a daylight (10,000 Kelvin +) and an actinic.

Cqlvertbill

Registered Member
May 28, 2012
Beware!

I'm absolutely convinced that anyone investing in a lighting system that's not comprised of LEDs will regret it in short order. My present setup lighting a 36" deep tank is 4 250W Phoenix MHs and 4 48" PCs. I've been waiting to convert because I still have 2 years worth of bulb replacements but after realizing:
1. How much my tank is underlit (I've never been able to keep acropora) and
2. The actual amount of the savings to my power bill,
I can't wait to list my present lighting system on eBay.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store