Borneo sucker, mistake?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
So I bought one of these guys yesterday afternoon when I drove an hour away to pick up some blue angels. The guy tells me they're great in my tropical tank and just need some driftwood. Well I did some more research when I got home and I'm getting conflicting information.

It seems they like cooler, fast moving water as they are a river species. Some people are saying 'oh no they're fine in a tropical tank with low current'. What I'm trying to figure out is if they are fine or if it would be really uncomfortable for him. I really really like the little guy but I would hate for me to not be doing what I could.

I plan on having a decent power head in a few weeks soon here and doing something with an under gravel filter which will create some current but that still doesn't cover the temperature. It seems a lot of people say they like the cooler water because they need a high oxygen environment. So does that mean if I'm around 78 degrees F I can compensate for the temp by having more oxygenation? If I can compensate that way then that would be great.

Im feeling kind of bad for picking him up just on the word of the shopkeeper and finding out his requirements. Let me know what you guys think.

f1sleepy

AC Members
Mar 25, 2012
Southern CA
Real Name
James
Cooler is better, but I believe many people on here have had plenty of luck with Hillstream fishes in warmer water as long as the oxygen content is high enough. I personally keep the water below 75* F and have had zero issues, but that is just me. If you can keep the tank at 78 and increase the oxygen content, then you should be fine. I would consider adding a few of his/her friends though. Depending on the species, they tend to be quite social and are simply more enjoyable to watch when there are several of them in the tank.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Thank you very much. That validates me completely and makes me very happy to hear. The second I realized they like high oxygen I put another air pump on the tank and have double the bubbles now. He seems to be doing very well actually but I'm gonna keep an eye on him.

Also glad to know he likes a buddy or two around. They stay fairly small so I'm more than happy to get him a friend to play with XD

He's one of the coolest guys in my tank. When he is one the glass you can see his heart beat. So awesome to see

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store