Silky Soft 100% Polyester Filter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OneJun

AC Members
Jun 15, 2010
Long Beach
Hi, so i went and bought a bag of Silky Soft 100% Bright white polyester fiber. It doesn't tell me the ingredients and i was just wondering if its safe to use on my 12g saltwater reef. All it says is that Its an Ultra Plush Fiber,
100% bright white polyester fiber
Luxurious silky feel
Washable
Non-Allergenic
Guaranteed Quality
It also doesn't say anything about fire retardants or something like that, just 100 Polyester.
Do you guys think it's safe or should i just go return it?

A picture

silkysoft.jpg

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
If it says 100% polyester, I would assume it to be fine...although the "extra soft" and "bright white" is kind of worrisome, it is probably fine. The only way to be absolutely sure would be to find out who makes it and inquire via phone or email.

...Although I have to ask myself, considering how much one spends on a nano reef, why not give yourself complete peace of mind and buy the Blue Ribbon stuff that's made for aquariums? ;) Even better, IMO, is the blue/white bonded pad Marineland sells.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If it says 100% polyester, I would assume it to be fine...although the "extra soft" and "bright white" is kind of worrisome, it is probably fine. The only way to be absolutely sure would be to find out who makes it and inquire via phone or email.

...Although I have to ask myself, considering how much one spends on a nano reef, why not give yourself complete peace of mind and buy the Blue Ribbon stuff that's made for aquariums? ;) Even better, IMO, is the blue/white bonded pad Marineland sells.
C'mon Nicole, isn't it worth spending a bit more to have your fishes' poo lounging in a luxurious silky feel?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05

That is a big waste of money!

If that is made in CT it is fine to use. I don't waste money on the fancy ones. I use the regular 100% polyester (made in CT) yes, it is flame retardant but having made a phone call to them, I found out they have iron added to make it flame retardant and is chemical-free. It is washable but at $7 for a year's supply why bother?

I think the aquarium packaged one is like $10-$20 for a few ounces and the other is for 10x more fiber at a lesser price.

OneJun

AC Members
Jun 15, 2010
Long Beach
I understand what you mean about spending the extra money to be safe, but as this is my first reef, i am now broke. Even if the tank i got was free.
And i bought this because i had 50% coupon so it was pretty cheap.
Anyways, yea it says that its made in Danbury, CT USA, so is its ok?

OneJun

AC Members
Jun 15, 2010
Long Beach
Hi John, yea like $15-20 for 10 oz? Not worth it IMO. The one in the link is cheaper though, but 24oz for $6 seems better lol :D

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I buy the largest bag I can find and it's about $7. For 10 tanks and about 17 filters it lasts me about 6 months. I have double filters on several tanks since I have a multitude of Plecos. All but 2 tanks have plecos in them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store