best eel like fish for my tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
im getting a 75 gallon really soon and so far this is the stocking
1-blood parrot
1-kirin parrot
6-congo tetras
2-bristlenose plecos
then i want to add some eel like fish so what would be good in this setup?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bane125

AC Members
May 6, 2012
Peacock eel ia a good look...peaceful and harmless..i have one...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
That is one cool fish

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Ooooh gorgeous ornate! I'd love to have one, but they get too big for a 75 gallon.

If you go the bichir route, like I said before, go with
a Senegal
senegal bichir.jpg

An albino senegal (next on my list of bichirs to get)
AlbinoSenegalBichir1.jpg

A delhezi (next on my list, after I get an albino sen, this one has pretty good coloration)
delhezi.jpg

Or one of the palmas species
Palmas palmas
polypterus_palmas_palmas_2x.jpg

Palmas polli
palmas polli.jpg

Palmas buettikoferi (this one has gorgeous coloration!)
palmas buettikoferi.jpg

I was going to suggest rope fish (they look like little snakes, I adore them so darn much!)
Ropefish ASAA.JPGropefish.jpg

as well (they are a polypterus, just like bichirs), my only concern is that they have the potential to get ~2ft, which in a 75 gallon, wouldn't be a whole lot of room to swim when it's only 18" in diameter. I would want a 5 foot tank that's at least 2 feet wide to have them, along with the fact that they like to be in a group and are EXCELLENT escape artists, although some people keep them in smaller tanks, I always like to go bigger! :)

As for the spiny eels, you could do
zig zag eel (macrognathus circumcinctus) max size 6-8" (get at least 2, they like company of their own kind)
Macrognathus_circumcinctus_1.jpg

Macrognathus pancalus (I believe they like to be kept in the company of either each other, or another peaceful spiny eel species, max size 8")
pancalus02.jpg

Or a good ole peacock eel (max size 12")

senegal bichir.jpg AlbinoSenegalBichir1.jpg delhezi.jpg polypterus_palmas_palmas_2x.jpg palmas polli.jpg palmas buettikoferi.jpg Ropefish ASAA.JPG ropefish.jpg Macrognathus_circumcinctus_1.jpg pancalus02.jpg

manda321

AC Members
May 15, 2012
I had two rope fish. I loved them they would come up.and swim in my hand and in and out of my fingers like they were playing lol.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
so either one bichr or two eels like peacocks, zig zags, etc. which has more personality?

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
Mike "Captain America" Houston
I have a zig zag eel and at first he was kind shy but now he swims right up to the top and eats out of my fingers. Great personality. No experience w/ peacocks though.

bane125

AC Members
May 6, 2012
Lol my peacock eel stays hidden in the substrate! I see him maybe once a month...his lil head/nose sticks out just barely he rarely is noticed by the other fish....

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
hmm decisions decisions. do bichrs have personality? could i fit 2 bichrs? i really like how the peacock and zig zag eels look but i wouldnt want one if it hid all the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store