Suggestions on a new nano reef fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
I am planning to add fish #5 (final fish?) to my biocube 29 hqi...need some suggestions for a gorgeous, low maintenance fish to complete my tank. Considering a Lemonpeel Angel. Or...am I done? I REALLY don't want to overstock, and most people I have asked advice from (LFS idiots) have told me I could keep up to 8 fish in that tank! IMO, I think a lot of people get overexcited and overstock. I am new to this, and of course have big dreams...but have put a lot of time and money into this, and would hate for this new hobby become an epic failure. I am going to list my tank contents for your advice.

Current livestock:
2 yellowtail damselfish
1 clown
1 green spotted dragonet
1 scarlet hermit

Coral:
1 galaxia frag
2 zoanthids
1 flowerpot
1 hammer frag
1 birds nest frag
1 green favia brain

Miscellaneous: 25 lbs live rock, sand, ideal water&temperture consistency.

Tank has 4 months running. The only problem I have had so far was two slight raises in nitrites three annoying weeks of cyanobacteria.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Lemon Peels are nice looking fish do remember though they can nip on corals.

Other suggestions, the hermit is your only invert? I'd add some more dwarf hermits and snails. Maybe some shrimp or other crabs(porcelein, pompom) Maybe a pistol pairing goby.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
You're done with fish. Lemonpeels eat Zoanthids.

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Ok I trust you SubRosa....peppermint shrimp, perhaps? I had two a while back but I had a really grouchy royal gramma in there at the time. He wasted no time picking them off!

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I agree that shrimp would be a good addition to the tank. I haven't had sexys but do enjoy peppermints.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
I cast a vote for the nicest sw shrimp with the worst name, the skunk, aka cleaner. They're the smallest ones commonly available as best I can tell (ie, stock at the lfs) so better for a nano; they do no harm to any coral or other inhabitant, and I find them inexplicably adorable. They seem to have very poor eyesight and rely on their antennae/tentacles to learn anything at all. I put the frozen shrimp in for the clowns and the poor skunk dashes madly around, ignoring a shrimp right in front of his face unless it hits a tentacle. Then, nom nom. Fun to watch. :)

I call him Bones because he really does seem to worry greatly about keeping the place healthy and clean ("Dangit Jim I'm a doctor not a shrimp! O wait...") . The clowns tease him. I had fw shrimp for years but now find them somewhat, um, boring in comparison.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I cast a vote for the nicest sw shrimp with the worst name, the skunk, aka cleaner. They're the smallest ones commonly available as best I can tell (ie, stock at the lfs) so better for a nano; they do no harm to any coral or other inhabitant, and I find them inexplicably adorable. They seem to have very poor eyesight and rely on their antennae/tentacles to learn anything at all. I put the frozen shrimp in for the clowns and the poor skunk dashes madly around, ignoring a shrimp right in front of his face unless it hits a tentacle. Then, nom nom. Fun to watch. :)

I call him Bones because he really does seem to worry greatly about keeping the place healthy and clean ("Dangit Jim I'm a doctor not a shrimp! O wait...") . The clowns tease him. I had fw shrimp for years but now find them somewhat, um, boring in comparison.
I agree with this choice over the Peppermints, mainly because generally you'll see one Skunk Cleaner a lot more than you'll see two Peppermints! Either would be fine though.

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
What about a crab? Looking at a Sally Lightfoot...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store