Dwarf Gourami Problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bikabanditz

Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
Visit site
A big hello to everyone from a forum newbie!

I have a problem with my tank.

The tank is a 1.2m x 0.7m x o.8m Rena with three way filter box.

The tank is stocked with various community fish that include Danio's and Platty's, Flying Foxes, Leopard Catfish, Neon Tetras, Cherry barbs and recently Dwarf Gourami's. I did have guppies at one point.

The tank used to contain Headstanders but they all died or were euthanased due to whitespot, the tank was treated for the same.

The latest addition was two male dwarf gouramis, but the first two that we bought seemed to fall ill. One simply died, no obvious reason. The remaining gourami seemed to deteriorate after this and our local suppliers suggested the remaining gourami might be lonely and we should introduce a further male along with two females to cure the problem.

Shortly afterwards (a week later) the second gourami became worse with the following symptoms: Lost appetite, lack of movement, thin, loss of colour and generally looking unwell.

He refused all food and would only swim if coaxed, he would otherwise just hide in the darkest part of the tank for hours, only moving if nudged by other fish.

Due to me not wanting problems with infection again and the fish now looking desparately unhappy, I decided euthanasia was the kindest thing.

Question: Does anyone have any ideas what this might be? I have lost fish before: The headstanders as mentioned above, also 5 of my Neon Tetras have died along with all of my guppies (although I was told of their overbreeding and longevity issues).

My first thoughts were that of tuberculosis, what does everyone think?

All help and opinions gratefully recieved with thanks.

Kind regards

Steve

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Hello.

What are your water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, temperature, etc. What is your water change schedule like?

Sounds like it could be internal parasites - or tuberculosis like you said, but its a bit more rare - and I hope it isn't that because its contagious... (for the gouramis that is. I suspect a week batch, bullying, or poor water quality was what got to the neons/guppies)

As for the gourami being lonely - in all likelihood - no. They don't get lonely as far as I'm aware. They aren't schooling fish and can't be very territorial, so often, the males prefer not having any others around.

It could also be a sick batch since IME dwarf gouramis are fairly hardy. If you get any more, it would be best to quarantine them if you can manage, and watch for any symptoms like TB or internal parasites and treat for them (parasites, that is). You don't want anything like that getting into your main tank. Perhaps as a precaution you could pick up some "Pepso" food and feed it a few times in the main tank, just in case. Many people recommend feeding it once a week. OR, you could just add some garlic extract to the food you normally feed. Its an appetite stimulant as well as a good warder-offer (hehe nice word:p ) of internal nasties.

Bikabanditz

Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for that.

The water parameters are good, I tested these not three days ago and all were either acceptable or excellent.

The guppies seemed to disappear one after the other, the shop did state they were prone to overbreeding and they just seemed weak so I thought no more of it. The tetras I'm not sure about. Two I simply found floating on the surface, the others just disappeared.

I should mention at this point I have a heavily planted tank, it's difficult to see all the fish all the time. I also omitted the other tank occupants; Rainbow fish, two males and two females, all healthy but the males are very boisterous especially after water changes (every 10 days at 20%), I do wonder if these simply 'bump' the tetras causing irreversable internal damage?

Ken

AC Members
Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
I have had a similar experience to yours.

I had a dwarf gourami that I kept with a molly and a swordtail. It started out strong from the store, then almost stopped eating, and just hung out near the surface in a corner, looking near dead He got so sick his whisker things fell off and his color looked bad.

Other than that he had no visible symtoms, and the other fish in the tank were healthy.

I moved him over to another tank and added a female, and in about he week he was better.

Now he patrols all over my community tank, puffing up and trying to look tough.

I don't know if it was the female that did it, but I know he had some mystery illness that was wiping him out, and then he got better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store