Saltwater Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

otmmy

AC Members
May 9, 2012
Lethbridge,AB,Canada
Real Name
Tommy
Hello all A few days ago it was my fathers birthday and he absolutly loves saltwater aquariums and he has only ever had a 20 and 25g. So as a birthday present i has going to buy him this http://www.homesalive.ca/Fluval-Premium-Aquarium-Kit--45-Gallon-Bow_p_932.html and set it up in his fly tying room while he was at work. So the first question I had was how much salt will I need? The box says its 45g but when I enter the measurments in the calculator above it says its 49g, and Im not to sure which size to go by. The second thing I was wondering was about how much sand should I put in? I still have about 20lbs of crushed coral from his previous saltwater and I would like to use some of that aswell. So if anyone could help me with this I would appreciate it.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Nice bday gift. Im not sure why you're getting the variance in measurements from the box and your own calculations. It may have something to do with the fact that its a bowfront(with a curved front) and the calculator was designed for rectangular tanks...If it says 45 on the box I would go with that.

As for sand, it depends on how thick of a sand bend you're looking to create. I have about 100 pounds of sand in my 92 gal corner and that gives me about a 1.5 in-2 in thick sand bed. If you're looking to do a deep sand bed(like 4 inches), you'll probably want a higher proportion than that for sand vs tank gallons. Some people swear by dsb's for various reasons but I prefer just the regular thickness. For that 40, you could probably do about 50 or 60 pounds of sand if you're just looking to have a regular 1-2 inch sand bed.

As for the crushed coral, I would advise against using it. This is from one of the stickies at the top of the forum

Hello,
A lot of lfs try to sell us crushed coral to use as a substrate in our marine tanks. It's not good it acts as giant nitrate factory and really causes some long term issues with your tanks health. You would be far better served if you would use sand or even a bare bottom.

There are several reasons that it causes problems like, it catches all the detritus in your tank, food, feces, dead plants etc. It's more or less like having a kitchen sponge in the bottom of your tank that you never change! :thud:
Your infaunal critters be they fish,inverts etc. have a very difficult time in moving through it and they can't get to the waste material to eat it.

It also won't compact enough to form an anaerobic area to allow denitrification and the ultimate removal of waste as atmospheric nitrogen. In short it's not a good idea to add to marine tanks in quantity.

IME it probably causes more people to leave the hobby than any other reason!

Hopefully other members will post their experiences to assist new hobbiest.
hth
chris

otmmy

AC Members
May 9, 2012
Lethbridge,AB,Canada
Real Name
Tommy
Wow thank you for your help I had not read this article yet. I think im going to avoid the crushed coral altogether. As for the sand I think I might get around 65-70lbs, and the calculator i used the calculator from this site but whatever i will call it 45g.

Thank your for your help

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
You think it could be accounting for a few gallons of substrate? Just an idea as every tank I've ever looked at we're listed at 50g or 75g but when I put the measurements in I get a higher gallon rating. Also it wouldn't be full to the brim either.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Wow thank you for your help I had not read this article yet. I think im going to avoid the crushed coral altogether. As for the sand I think I might get around 65-70lbs, and the calculator i used the calculator from this site but whatever i will call it 45g.

Thank your for your help
No problem, let us know how it goes or if you have any more questions

You think it could be accounting for a few gallons of substrate? Just an idea as every tank I've ever looked at we're listed at 50g or 75g but when I put the measurements in I get a higher gallon rating. Also it wouldn't be full to the brim either.
That might be it actually because if it had anything to do with the curve of the glass, the calculator would give a lower gallons than the one mentioned on the box.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store