Grrrr Biocube....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
My biocube hqi blah blah expensive light broke. A little ticked. Anyone else had problems with this light? The arm is extremely weak and of very poor design. If I take the light off, do I have any other lighting alternatives?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
My biocube hqi blah blah expensive light broke. A little ticked. Anyone else had problems with this light? The arm is extremely weak and of very poor design. If I take the light off, do I have any other lighting alternatives?

Depends upon the route you'd like to go and how much you mind spending. If you want something comparable, there are a few options. One would be to get another 150w double-ended halide fixture. Tons of options available (and a relatively wide array of prices from ~$250 USD to $600+ --all new), as well as ways to mount them. You can hang them or use a clip-on type fixture you have now. Another is to go the LED route. These will be more expensive on average, but will draw less electricity and emit less heat. You will not have to replace them yearly, either, as they are meant to last. Lots of fixtures, etc. here, too. I like the "pendant" style systems in both halides and LEDs, which is why for the latter I really like the look of the Kessils, but they may be a bit dimmer than what you already have. They currently retail for ~ $275 USD. The even more intense, but dimmable version is $399.

In any case, if you are on a budget, the halide will be a bit cheaper in the short term. You will have yearly bulb replacements, though, in addition to electricity. The LEDs cost more up front, but will pay for themselves within a year or two in both replacements and energy costs. Either way, it is up to you. I like the actual aesthetic light quality that halides emit better (it looks more natural to my eye), but it is hard to argue with the other benefits of LEDs.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I hate Bio Cubes anyway. Don't get me wrong they look great, but everything is so expensive about them.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
looks like you are not the first person to have this experience, according to this thread over at ReefSanctuary. They have some proposed means of repair if you would like to go that route.

if you would not, let me know what you want for the busted one and we could maybe make a deal. :)

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
looks like you are not the first person to have this experience, according to this thread over at ReefSanctuary. They have some proposed means of repair if you would like to go that route.

if you would not, let me know what you want for the busted one and we could maybe make a deal. :)
First, I'm gonna call PetCo and see whaf they say, still hace ny receipt and this clearly looks like a product error. I have been thinking out a different plan, probably involving a and halide in combo with one of those blue lights...(havent started looking into them yet, don't even know what they're called?) I guess I would have to find a way to hang it above the tank oe some kinda stand. And yeah, I'd probably like to find a way to make a deal if none of this works. And I don't know if you can purchase a replacement arm. The fixture outside woukd need a new piece because the screws holding rhe fixture to the arm broke.

I think I'm over plug-and-play setups now.

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
What were you doing when the light broke? How long have you had it?

I was reading a book. Not messing with the aquarium at all. Looked up, light had fallen off the arm. The screws had come loose. The plastic was cracked and the screws fell into the tank. Luckily I was nearby and shut the light off before the situation got worse.

Been a rough week

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Other then the flimsy build quality of the arm is the HQI light a good light? If so you could fabricate your own ceiling hanging kit, or even come up with other non ceiling suspension idea's.

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Other then the flimsy build quality of the arm is the HQI light a good light? If so you could fabricate your own ceiling hanging kit, or even come up with other non ceiling suspension idea's.
Yes I LOVE THIS LIGHT Hoping to get my dad to look at it he loves fixin stuff..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store