Just set up my first salt tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kandyroll

AC Members
Apr 22, 2012
I set up a small 10 gallon. Next is my 55 after the huge crash I had in it. Gonna do mainly inverts in the 10 and a dwarf lion and a stars and stripes puffer in the 55. Really excited for this change!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
A 55 is not a permanent home for a Stars and Stripes Puffer. They get well over a foot long, and are a very messy fish. It's an interesting question as to whether you'll run out of physical space or filtration capacity first. If you want a nice Puffer suitable for a 55 get a "brackish" Green Spotted and acclimate it to full SW. Adults normally live in the ocean. But I wouldn't keep one with a Lion, particularly a shyer one like a Dwarf unless the tank was at least 6' long and heavily scaped.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Anything that's peaceful and far too big for the Lion to even think about swallowing.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
55 is to small for tangs. Clowns should be doable. With Dragonets if you don't have a sump to raise pods make sure its a type thats easily trainable to take frozen foods, and big at purchase size not to be eaten by the lion, didn't see what exact dwarf lion it is your talking about.

Kandyroll

AC Members
Apr 22, 2012
I know I'm a noob to this and I have a lot to learn and thanks for putting up with my stupidity on this. I have always wanted salt and bows my chance! I really wanna have a thriving tank set up is what I'm going for!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Even Dwarf Lion will get 4" long. A Clown would have to be huge to be beyond considering. I'd look at an Angel in the genus Genicanthus like a Lamarck, a Swallowtail, or a Bellus. The tank is kind of marginal in size. If you chose a Fu Manchu Lion you would have more choices of tankmates as they're the smallest species of Lionfish I'm aware of.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Even Dwarf Lion will get 4" long. A Clown would have to be huge to be beyond considering. I'd look at an Angel in the genus Genicanthus like a Lamarck, a Swallowtail, or a Bellus. The tank is kind of marginal in size. If you chose a Fu Manchu Lion you would have more choices of tankmates as they're the smallest species of Lionfish I'm aware of.
Can't a couple of the "Dwarf" species get to 6"? Wouldn't a pair of maroon, tomato, or clarkii be safe with one though? Perc's/Oscellaris would be risky for sure. The Fu Manchu's are cool little fellows.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store