Boy do I feel like an IDIOT (yes with capital letters)!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
So I am in Petco about a year ago and in the aquatic plant area, someone has dumped a bag of fish. I pick it up and one of the employees says, "look a pair of convicts". So I buy into the facade and adopt them (which I would have done anyway). I get them their own tank and read up on them. All the information I have says how easy they are to breed, so I think I will give it a shot. Long story short, after a year nothing. Well finally today someone tells me what you have there is a female convict and a jack dempsey@! Boy do I feel stupid.convict pair 012.jpgconvict pair 001.jpgconvict pair 002.jpgconvict pair 003.jpgconvict pair 004.jpgconvict pair 005.jpgconvict pair 006.jpgconvict pair 009.jpg

convict pair 012.jpg convict pair 001.jpg convict pair 002.jpg convict pair 003.jpg convict pair 004.jpg convict pair 005.jpg convict pair 006.jpg convict pair 009.jpg convict pair 011.jpg

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Thanks for the information. I am learning more with every moment today.

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Well, at least they're happy, well cared for, and didn't suffocate to death in a bag at the store! Plus, you know they've had great care for a year or so, so should be in prime breeding condition. Now you just have to get them boyfriends, and you're good to go. Potential for baby convicts and baby dempseys, not a loss at all! ;)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i wouldn't breed the convict. they are the guppies of the cichlid world and you will have tons of fry and grumpy adult convicts in your tank. the fry will be hard to rehome, as they are so common in the hobby - nobody wants them because of that.

the dempsey on the other hand, that would be a neat breeding venture. just have somewhere lined up for the fry, as you'd need tons of large tanks to keep them all forever.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
i wouldn't breed the convict. they are the guppies of the cichlid world and you will have tons of fry and grumpy adult convicts in your tank. the fry will be hard to rehome, as they are so common in the hobby - nobody wants them because of that.
Heed these words. Convicts are extremely easy to breed, and as a result there's a huge surplus of them, both in stores and with other hobbyists. You certainly wouldn't make any money on them and I know around here no LFS will take them. I've even seen ads on Craigslist where people have offered to give away a full tank setup with the fish, and in one case, even offered $20, just to get someone to take them off their hands.

Beautiful fish though. They look very well cared for.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Thank you all. I have no plans to breed either fish at this point. I appreciate all the comments.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
jack dempseys need a 55 just for themselves just so you know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Do you think if I put the Jack Dempsey in with my Oscar that he would be okay. Ole' idiot here thought it was a convict and has it in a 30 gallon tank. I really don't have any other tank to put it in . . . other than my 100. Or maybe I need a new tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store