My Super Crazy Idea - too crazy???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
So I have been researching compatibility of all the smallish terrestrial/semi terrestrial/aquatic species I want to keep and planned a setup that I think ideal for these species. If I ever get the resources to do this i will! I wanted to insert a file (list of species) but the forum won't let me so I'll have to post it separately and less interesting :(

The whole setup would have to be huge-about 600 gallons of water (fresh and brackish) I think. Then add on the space necessary for the land inhabitants as well... about 7x3 ft of floor space with a substrate depth of 2ft or more should do for the land area? :)
It would require a large freshwater section, a smaller brackish water section and a large land area between both.
The terrestrial area substrate would consist of sand to either side of the land area (leading to fresh and brackish sections), gradually becoming coconut fiber and dirt towards the center.
There would be tonnes of plants in the freshwater section, as well as rocks, bog wood and a gravel bottom.
I would likely incorporate a muddy/sandy bottom in the brackish section with bog wood and actual mangrove plants leading onto the land/terrestrial area.
The land area substrate would be slightly moist (NOT wet) all the way to the bottom (using the silicone and glass/acrylic/plastic plate method to separate land from water) with rocks piles and bog wood leading onto the land area from the two water sections.
The terrestrial section would have a high humidity created by the two aquatic sections but would also be humidified by a small stream of fresh water (flowing through 1/2 of a PVC pipe decorated with a silicone/coconut fiber/sand combination or something) accounting for a small volume of the water cycling through the freshwater filter. The total volume of water output from the FW filter would thus be cut into two paths-the small stream leading from the land area into the water and just a stream of water flowing directly into the aquatic FW section.
The brackish water section would obviously also have a filter and heater.
All sections would have lots of plants to keep waste at 0 (from my experience, a "vegetable"(plant) filter works exceptionally well and is super reliable).
So... if I ever got the possibility to, do you think I could do it? :grinyes:

Thoughts or suggestions? Any creatures you'd like to add to the list or don't think fit?:tropicalfish:

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
List of species I'd like to keep in this setup

Freshwater:
-Peter's Elephant Nose Fish
-Cherry Barbs
-Gold Barbs
-Peppered Corydoras
-Celestial Pearl Danios
-Dwarf Gouramies
-Endler's Livebearers
-Marbled Hatchetfish
-Ram Cichlid
-Glass Catfish
-Siamese Fighting Fish
-Zebra Danios
-Variatus or Hybrid Platies
-Kuhlii Loaches
-Bushy Nose Plecostomus
-Otocinclus Catfish
-Freshwater Gobies
-African Dwarf Clawed Frogs
-Nerite Snails
-Mystery Snails
-Tylomelania Snails
-Assassin Snails
-Malaysian Trumpet Snail
-Freshwater Clam
-Mexican Orange Dwarf Crayfish
-Giant Filter Shrimp
-Amano Shrimp
-Red Cherry Shrimp
-Aegla
-Red Claw Crabs

Brackish:
-Indian Mudskippers
-Bumblebee Gobies
-Gulf Pipefish
-Amano Shrimp
-Ghost Shrimp
-Nerite Snails
-Fiddler Crabs
-Red Claw Crabs
-Watermelon Fiddler Crabs

Terrestrial/Semi-Aquatic:
-Coenobita clypeatus
-Coenobita brevimanus
-Coenobita violascens
-Coenobita perlatus
-Coenobita rugosus
-Coenobita pseudorugosus
-Coenobita compressus
-Coenobita cavipes
-Coenobita purpureus
-Coenobita variabilis
-Barbados Vampire Crab
-White-Hand Mandarin Crab
-Bermuda Land Crab
-Emerald Land Crab
-Barbados Neon Millipede
-Madagascan Giant Emerald Pill Bug
-Pill Bugs (terrestrial section cleanup crew)

END

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Wow! That is quite the ambitious project.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
By the way, nothing is ever too crazy in my book.

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
The only crazy thing about it is going to be the budget requirements... :(
I hope I can get enough funds. Otherwise this will just remain another one of my dreams.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
a lot of those fish will not be compatible and red claw crabs and fiddler ceabs would be in the brackish area and would both use the land also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dwrf frog

AC Members
Feb 12, 2010
Brussels, Belgium
The fiddlers and red claws would use the land and probably even alternate between fresh and brackish water. The reason I'm doing brackish is to have mudskippers too. The enclosure would also need a saltwater basin but this doesn't have to be terribly big. Since there would be quite a few hermit crabs I'd say about 5-10 gallons of salt water.

I don't see any of the fish having a compatibility issue but I might be mistaken. In a large enough tank (300+ gallons) with dense vegetation in places and lots of rocks and bog wood everything has pretty good room so compatibility isn't as big of an issue as it would be in a smaller tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
The fiddlers and red claws would use the land and probably even alternate between fresh and brackish water. The reason I'm doing brackish is to have mudskippers too. The enclosure would also need a saltwater basin but this doesn't have to be terribly big. Since there would be quite a few hermit crabs I'd say about 5-10 gallons of salt water.

I don't see any of the fish having a compatibility issue but I might be mistaken. In a large enough tank (300+ gallons) with dense vegetation in places and lots of rocks and bog wood everything has pretty good room so compatibility isn't as big of an issue as it would be in a smaller tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
yea i took that into account. i think some fish will be eatin though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store