Divided salt tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Anyone ever tried taking something like a 75g and dividing it down the middle (with a tank divider, piece of acrylic with small holes, anything) so that water would still flow between both sides but so that you could have things that may not work together?

It was just something that hit me because I am always seeing that SW is tricky and a lot of people mention stocking plans and almost every time someone says some of it won't be compatible.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
And if it is something that sounds feasible what do you think about a reef on one side and fish only on the other?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Could you do it, sure. 24x18 is a nice footprint for a nanoreef, but not much room for non reefsafe fish. 2 tanks would be the best way to go.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Could you do it, sure. 24x18 is a nice footprint for a nanoreef, but not much room for non reefsafe fish. 2 tanks would be the best way to go.
Gotcha, yeah in my head I was thinking of the implications of bringing it down to basically a 37g. I'm not too knowledgable on tank sizes. What about a 75 long if there is one?

By the way, I ask that because I'm under the impression there is a normal, tall, and long version of most tanks

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Someone probably does make a longer one I was just going off the standard AGA/Aqueon 75g size. Just seems when most people are looking at non reefsafe stuff its something big and aggressive that needs a 75g for itself like eels or lionfish. Don't get me wrong you could do some stuff in the divided 75g non reefsafe invert's, some smaller fish like neon goby's.

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Someone probably does make a longer one I was just going off the standard AGA/Aqueon 75g size. Just seems when most people are looking at non reefsafe stuff its something big and aggressive that needs a 75g for itself like eels or lionfish. Don't get me wrong you could do some stuff in the divided 75g non reefsafe invert's, some smaller fish like neon goby's.
Yeah I was just checking. I didn't even know if I was right. My 75g will be a standard one anyway.

Just something I thought of. Man the more I think about it the more I realize I just love saltwater. I love my angels and will definitely keep them in my 50 but I definitely think my 75 will sit as I accumulate what I need to make it salt (still have to sell all this crap on Craigslist to get the 76 thought /sigh no one wants hobby equipment anymore)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
^^normally for a short term....would have to be a long tank still taking in requirements of growth/aggression/territories and other factors for the long term. Home tanks are not normally holding tanks like at a store.

xDetroitMetalx

AC Members
Apr 24, 2008
Moro, OR
You could technically make an overflow chamber like an all-in-one tank just straight down the center. That actually would be pretty cool. It would be nano like size but without the nano like problems as you would have much more water to play with. I think that's a cool idea!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store