Hanging outsdie filters as interior filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
Has anyone tried to hang an outside filter inside the tank to use as an interior filter?

I have experimented with my old Wisper and Penquin overhand filters by submerging the motor and the box inside the tank to see if they work. They do and there was no electrical short. The filter motors look identical and appear to be the same design as their powerhead motors, so I wonder if they will work and be safe for permanent installation.

I have a 125 gal tank set up that I have no room to fit overhang filters on the back, and I don't want to go with canister or wet and dry filters, so I am considering hanging a couple Penquiin filters inside. What do you think

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
even if you could guarantee that the motor box was completely water sealed and would not cause any problems, hanging a hob filter inside a tank would take up a large amount of room, taking away from the amount of space a fish has to swim.

i wouldn't do it.

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
Not really. Checking the dimensions of my Penquin 330, hanging it inside will submerge 14" x 4" x 5" box space inside the tank or around 1.2 gal space. Placing two Penquin 330 inside the tank will take up no more than 2.4 extra gal, far less space than built in corner filter box would take up. Penquin HOB filters are much more energy efficient and trouble free than wet and dry or canister filters.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
" Penquin HOB filters are much more energy efficient and trouble free than wet and dry or canister filters." Not true IMO.

Not a single HOB out there that can compete with a canister for surface area for possible filtration.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I would follow the manufacturors recommendations. They don't hang them inside for a reason I am sure.... if something happens it will not be under warranty and the damage to fish or HOB will be your fault.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Not really. Checking the dimensions of my Penquin 330, hanging it inside will submerge 14" x 4" x 5" box space inside the tank or around 1.2 gal space. Placing two Penquin 330 inside the tank will take up no more than 2.4 extra gal, far less space than built in corner filter box would take up. Penquin HOB filters are much more energy efficient and trouble free than wet and dry or canister filters.
Sounds like you already made a decision, so why ask....

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
for a 110 gallon tank, i would say you'll need more than a couple penguin 330's on there. i remember running a penguin 350 alongside an aquaclear 110 hob on a 55 gallon and that was about as minimal filtration as i wanted.

and that penguin hob was a pain in the tookus! if the water level on the tank got a bit low, the biowheels wouldn't turn. if the filter went more than a couple weeks without a cleaning, the biowheels wouldn't turn. if the intake was ever so slightly clogged........ the biowheels wouldn't turn. i also had to custom make media for it, as the cartridges are a joke.

why don't you want to go with a canister filter? once you get up in tank size (above 55 gallons), a canister makes the most sense, if you want something 'straight out of the box' and don't want to build a sump tank.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
get a sunsun canister off aquabid if moneys an issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tiger15

AC Members
Jan 20, 1999
New Jersey
shirley.stormloader.com
I am not trying to debate whether canister or HOB filter is better. I am looking for opinion or experience on whether hanging HOB inside is workable. I haven't made the decision yet as I haven't acquired the 120 gal yet, but the location won't have space to hang HOBs behind.

Canister filters certaintly will fit the location, but I have trouble with canister before. Once I didn't put it back right, and the canister turned into a fountain and flooded my room while I was away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store