My visits to the LFS's...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Btw today is my birthday and that's how I got to go to several LFS's. My family had a great time looking at all the fish, and I finally convinced my mom to let me get a lionfish! Victory!

So there's this guy who owns a LFS(a very nice one) he doesn't use a single grain of sand, all crushed coral. He says that the sand traps ammonia in, he had a good point, il probably spend 4 hours changing to crushed coral (idc) He also suggested 120 pounds of live rock, he sells it for 5 bucks a pound! At the other store (much more successful, and bigger) They sell a type that is man-made with a special blend of materials, then the company puts the LR in the ocean for a few months. The LR that is 8 bucks a pound is A LOT more porous, it has great shape with lots of surface area.

Is LR needed by the pound or by surface area?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Last edited:

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick
Btw the suggestions are based for a 75 gallon FOWLR tank.

If what I type makes no sense it is because I had a birthday party last night and it was a sleepover... I got 1 and a half of sleep.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
crushed coral, from my limited reading, traps a lot of detritus and can make a tank dirty. trapped detritus can result in an ammonia spike from the excess detritus.

did this guy explain to you how sand traps ammonia?? if this statement were true, all of us folk that run sand beds in either fw or sw would be constantly battling ammonia levels. IMO this guy is talking bull poopy. detritus and mulm sit on top of the sand, which makes it very easy to remove.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick
crushed coral, from my limited reading, traps a lot of detritus and can make a tank dirty. trapped detritus can result in an ammonia spike from the excess detritus.

did this guy explain to you how sand traps ammonia?? if this statement were true, all of us folk that run sand beds in either fw or sw would be constantly battling ammonia levels. IMO this guy is talking bull poopy. detritus and mulm sit on top of the sand, which makes it very easy to remove.
That might be true, he had different views on a lot of things...

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Btw today is my birthday and that's how I got to go to several LFS's. My family had a great time looking at all the fish, and I finally convinced my mom to let me get a lionfish! Victory!

So there's this guy who owns a LFS(a very nice one) he doesn't use a single grain of sand, all crushed coral. He says that the sand traps ammonia in, he had a good point, il probably spend 4 hours changing to crushed coral (idc) He also suggested 120 pounds of live rock, he sells it for 5 bucks a pound! At the other store (much more successful, and bigger) They sell a type that is man-made with a special blend of materials, then the company puts the LR in the ocean for a few months. The LR that is 8 bucks a pound is A LOT more porous, it has great shape with lots of surface area.

Is LR needed by the pound or by surface area?

Buying that much live rock is just stupid. That's 600 dollars in rock! I suppose if your parents are buying it that's whatever. But I wouldnt think you would need that much. Anywhere from 60 to 100 would be just fine. 20 lbs of live will be just fine. Then get the rest dry

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store