New to salt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jeremy1

AC Members
Sep 17, 2010
So ive been keeping aquariums for several years and I think I would like to have a small saltwater tank. What I have is a 16g tank (20x10x18) that I would like to set up for this purpose. My idea so to speak is to keep corals some inverts (cleanup crew) and a couple of clownfish.I have been doing some reading but I still have some questions before I get started. What all equipment do I need to get started (non living)? Protein skimmer do I need one? I have a tank,stand,aqualife 36w(?) light,2x18w bulbs one 10000k one actinic. I have a couple of hob filters and a heater. I dont mind using a powerhead near the heater and having it in the tank (prefer to avoid a sump). So what else do I need and will this work for what I am looking to do? Thanks for any advice. Of course if one of you would like a protege to teach......lol thanks,Jeremy

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Lighting is lacking for alot of corals. I'd do a Aquaclear110 or 70 HOB modified into a fuge. Koralia 425 pump, heater. current lighting will keep you from doing many corals if you upgrade it, I'd look into a HOB skimmer or even a decent cheap internal one(aquatic life 115 mini being the cheapest halfway decent skimmer I can think of) Other then that just the basic saltwater tools, RODI unit, tests, salt, refractometer, rock, argo sand.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
Jeremy just for clarification is the tank 10 inches high or 18? If it's the tall I would agree with TL above that some stronger lighting would be a good idea. If it's short though I suspect the light you have would get you along for awhile.

Skimmer you can skip, add it later if you see a need. The other great hangup for many people is the claimed absolute requirement for RODI water. That kept me out of salt for a long time as it is simply not possible for me to have one for logistical reasons in this house. So I stuck to a 10g, got premixed saltwater from the LFS and some jugs of cheap distilled water from the grocery for topoffs. Has worked fine. I've even topped off on a few occasions with (gasp! shock! horror!) plain tap water and somehow the heavens have not opened, nor the thunder roared nor lightning flashed, in fact there was no noticeable difference at all. Parameters stayed fine, no algae explosion or any other dreadful events. your mileage of course may vary; I have well water with no chemical treatment and fairly low TDS (total dissolved solids) and maybe that makes the difference.

But otherwise just as TL said: get salt (any brand made for marine tanks is about as good as any other), argonite sand, dead rock and live rock in a ratio of about 3 or 4 to 1 (the life will spread from the live rock to the dead stuff and this will save you a ton of money.) A HOB stuffed with plain filter floss and maybe pouches with some carbon and phosphate binder like Phosban or Rowa. A small pump (i use a Rio+50, which is very small indeed) to stir the water around. Set it up, turn everything on, and wait a few weeks and observe, testing of course on a regular basis.

after a month or so if params are good, or maybe even a little before they're completely stable if you have an early algae problem, get a couple-three turbo snails and some blueleg hermits. A few more weeks and if numbers are okay you are good to go.

of course if Greech drops in listen to him and not me, he's been doing this a lot longer than I have and we all rely heavily on his expertise. Welcome to the dark side, have a cookie. :)

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Sometimes you can get away without a RODI, I do know some local people running with out it with tap water TDS in the 30's. They still have occasional algae battles though. In the grand scheme of reef keeping $150 for a rodi isn't that much I rather have the peace of mind my waters nice and clean.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Sometimes you can get away without a RODI, I do know some local people running with out it with tap water TDS in the 30's. They still have occasional algae battles though. In the grand scheme of reef keeping $150 for a rodi isn't that much I rather have the peace of mind my waters nice and clean.
Yea I agree with this, especially when the system in question is less than 30 gallons and good steady water params are going to be much more critical

Jeremy1

AC Members
Sep 17, 2010
thanks for the info. The tank is 18 high basically a 10g foot print but taller.What wattage or type of light should I get for this tank? Would another light like I already have(using two) work? Looks like I have a few more supplies to gather and Im sure Ill have more questions,like what kind of cookies lol. thanks again

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
What type of bulbs are these T5NO? If you doubled it and brought it to 72w it would give you some more options coral wise, still not enough for high light demanding stuff though.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Welcome to the dark side, have a cookie. :)
^So that's where the cookie reference came from!!!! Great, now I have people expecting cookies once they join us :).

Jeremy - you can definitely put together a nice nano reef with 2 clowns. The question of how far you take the equipment is up to you and the livestock you want to keep (which may change as you learn more). For starters you may want to get some good rock (and sand if you want it), a good water supply and a nice powerhead or two. Use one of your filters to run some media and use your existing lighting for now to just keep a FOWLR with the 2 clowns and see how you like the hobby. If you decide you want to take it up a notch, chances are you're going to want a bigger tank and this way you won't have to buy things twice (or more). Since you won't be running a skimmer, you'll want to be sure to stay on your water changes (suggest 10% per week). This will also give you some experience and more opportunity to research.

If you already know this is as big of tank as you'll want to run, then go ahead and buy quality equipment (especially lighting, flow and a good RO/DI unit). You may or may not need a skimmer but over time I think you will if you get heavy into corals. They have some nice in-tank skimmer coming out now so the lack of sump isn't a deal breaker (always a nice benefit though).

Fresh out of homemade cookies so these will have to do ;)...

Jeremy1

AC Members
Sep 17, 2010
What type of bulbs are these T5NO? If you doubled it and brought it to 72w it would give you some more options coral wise, still not enough for high light demanding stuff though.
Yes they are t5 bulbs in this fixture. Any brand or model suggestions for a light that work for corals?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store