Ram Breeding Substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

trachr

AC Members
May 3, 2012
What substrates can rams breed on? I know some fish have issues losing their eggs and whatnot so what would be ideal? I know that Ill need to throw some flat rocks in but do they need sand or gravel... in fact would just a painted bottom work so the eggs would be visible.

Also is just the rocks and substrate enough or are plants needed?

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
I have several breeding pairs of rams. GBR's, EBR's and Bolivians.

All of them really need/prefer tons of plants, drift wood and such. Sand (I prefer pool filter sand) is probably the best substrate for them. You can use flat rocks in the tank. Mine have never used them to breed on. They always pick leaves on my giant Red Tiger Lotus plant.

Rams wont lose their eggs. When they spawn they spawn on a surface. Like my plant leaf, Then they guard and care for it. After about 48 to 72 hours as long as the eggs are fertile and the parents are cool with it. The eggs will hatch. Before that happens the rams will make a burrow for them in the sand. Sand is soft and easy for them to move around.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
My good friend breeds them in bare tanks with clay pots and sponge filters. He has great success.
Some people do. I use sponge filters and some HOB filters. The HOB filters intakes are covered with fish net and or sponge. Never lose any little ones that way and they get good water.

I leave my breeding tanks planted heavily with hiding spots. Gives them a more comfortable feel. And the babies grow up nice. They love the sand. Easy to make a burrow.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
in a nutshell, Rams can breed on just about any surface.

most successful breeders use bare tanks with breeding cone. slates etc..
the reason behind bare tanks .....ease of maintenance

but they can , will and do breed successfylly in regular home aqauriums.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store