Best Cleaning Crew?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

real

AC Members
May 28, 2012
Greater Sacramento
Real Name
Cyrus Javan
I have a 55 gallon Freshwater setup with as of now 12 Neon Tetras but i am slowly stocking :) So my future plans are to have an Opeline Gourami, some larger community fish then a clean up crew set of fish. My question is what is the best set of fish for Cleaning algae and leftover food but also be a fun addition to the tank? I've heard Cory cats are good but I've never had them. Oh and I have a 6-7 inch Pleco in there aswell.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
With a 6-7 inch pleco, you do not need a clean up crew. With only a 55 and a big pleco, it would be hard to even feed corys.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
what kind of pleco? if common, its gonna get huge...like 2 ft huge...

maybe inverts? amano shrimp would work

real

AC Members
May 28, 2012
Greater Sacramento
Real Name
Cyrus Javan
Yep it's common. But my mom loves the fish because she has had it for like 3 yrs now so eventually I will have to cross that bridge but for now imagine its staying. So yah shrimp like ghost shrimp? I also have quite a bit of flow from my filters so will they get blown around?

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
Yep it's common. But my mom loves the fish because she has had it for like 3 yrs now so eventually I will have to cross that bridge but for now imagine its staying. So yah shrimp like ghost shrimp? I also have quite a bit of flow from my filters so will they get blown around?

sorry but i am shaking my head... its stunted. at 3 years, it should already but over a foot. stunting a fish can shorten its lifespan by ALOT and killing it faster ( it may be 7 inches but its insides are still growing which in tune is killing the fish silently ). either upgrade the tank if your mom wants it still ( atleast to a 120, which is the same length as a 55 but 2 foot wide by 2 foot tall ). or if not, i would get rid of the pleco, and get a couple of bristlenose plecos which stays under 7 inches full grown. what else you have in there?

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
i had a 3 year old high fin spotted that had enough tank space clean water and food...and was only 7 inches so no it might not be stunted....

for a good clean up crew i would say about 3-6 ottos and a hand full of brig snails ^_^.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
hi fin spotted pleco, should reach atleast 12 inches after the first year, then slowing down in growth afterwards.. but by year 3 they should be atleast 15 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store