55 gallon stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kinderteachersc

AC Members
Apr 16, 2012
South Carolina
Hey everyone! I'm looking for some help with stocking an established 55 gallon tank. I am really wanting to try something different but not extremely difficult. I have two fish that will be staying in the tank, a synodontis erupterus and a small syno hybrid (jaguar? petricola? who knows). I've thought about adding small Mbuna cichlids, specifically Red Zebras, Yellow Tail Acei, and Yellow Labs in a 1 male to 3 female ratio. I really like the look of a planted tank though and am in the process of planting my other two tanks. I'm new to plants but I know that most cichlids don't do well with plants so I'm trying to get new or slightly adjusted ideas to make this a really neat tank. My husband likes more aggressive different looking fish and I like fish with lots of personality (which is the main reason I want to keep my featherfin...he has the best personality!)

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance for your help!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Well you could start by posting more pics of your hybid.... ;)

But back to trying to help you, good tankmates for syno eupterus and the syno jaguar would be any fish around 3-5", here are some plant safe that came to mind:
~African butterfly fish (Pantodon buchholzi)
~Leopard Ctenopoma (Ctenopoma acutirostre)
~Silver dollars (Metynnis argenteus)
~Congo tetras
~Rainbowfish (turquiose rainbows, red irian,boesemani)
~Pearl gouramis
~Opaline, blue, three spot, or gold gouramis
~Moonlight gouramis
~Giant danios
~Denison barbs (petsmart often has these on sail for $8-$10 each)
~Angelfish (avoid a pair though if possible)
~Buffalo head cichlid (Steatocranus sasuarius)

:)

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
Red Zebras, Yellow Tail Acei, and Yellow Labs:

i would skip the acei as to me a 55 seems a bit to small ( if you had a 75, that would be great ) instead you should substitute them for another specie. like 1 male 3 femlae socolofi ( either albino or blue )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store