Rams spawned( can i remove the eggs??)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Master3z

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
my bolivian ram spawn on a small rock yesterday in community tank with angels and gourami,can i remove rock and put it another tank so that other fish cant eat them? i should also move the parents?,,,

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Best to move the rock by itself.Keep it submerged at all times. Place it in a tank filled with water from the original tank. Position the rock so the eggs are upside down on an angle. Place an airstone so the bubbles play against the eggs. Eggs which turn white are infertile. Good ones will hatch in a few days.

Master3z

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
okay,, its been 24hours+ since they spawn i see most of the eggs are still ok... tomorrow i will remove them,,, after how long the eggs will turn to little wrigglers/?

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
Is this the first time they have spawned???? What color are the eggs? Are they white or more transparent with black dots? if they are a pretty solid white look then they are not fertile. The male didnt do his thing. If this is the first time they have spawned chances are its a bust. Rams have to kinda learn how to become parents and care for the eggs. This includes fertilizing them. Once a pair have formed (rams are monogamous) They will continue to mate about every 2 to 3 weeks. Again as said before It takes them about 3 or 4 tries to get it right,

If you have a separate tank. id set it up with plants and such and when they spawn Catch the parents as well as move the eggs. The parents are really good at caring for the eggs. By fanning them and ridding any bad ones so they dont effect the others. Even after they have hatched (about 48 to 72 hours after being laid.. They are great parents. They might burrow into an area. This is why i like sand. And then the eggs hatch and they move them to the burrow.

So right now it depends on if they got fertilized or not if they will become baby rams. If they do you have to have food for them. Live baby brine shrimp or you can get them some micro organisms. I take a leaf of lettuce in a jar with water. Screw the top on and let it sit in a sunny window. After a day or two you will find little spots and critters inside. You can collect these and feed them to the fry.

Currently ive got several breeding pairs of Bolivian rams, German Blue rams and Electric blues. All of them have had to learn to be parents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store