Calcium drop...?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
What commonly causes a calcium drop? Went and got a water test, picked up water for my water change (i havent learned how to mix my own yet)...bought seachem advantage calcium. But what did this...? 5 days ago, everything was perfect(ish)....

Sent from my SCH-I800 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
From my limited knowledge on the subject, I think Calc will start to drop significantly when you have a tank stocked with a lot of corals, especially SPS's, because they leech the Calc out of the water to build their skeleton.

But that's just a guess answer, u have to wait for someone more informed to come along.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
^Good reference for sure.

What was the Ca level? What were your alk and Mg concentrations? If I recall, you tank is fairly new? What kind of salt mix are you using and how often are you doing water changes?

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
What was the Ca level? What were your alk and Mg concentrations? If I recall, you tank is fairly new? What kind of salt mix are you using and how often are you doing water changes?
Ca level was 300 I think...trying to get ahold of yhe girl who tested my water today right now to get the numbers on my alk and mg...I know my alk was ok... shes out to lunch hehe...

I have been buying my water at the LFS. IS THIS BAD??? Like I said, I havent bought salt mix or tried making my own yet. I have awful water where I live. We don't even drink that stuff. Ever. I feel dirty showering in it.

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
And I'm doing water changes very 14 days. Tank is 4 months, two weeks old...

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Honey, greech hasn't even awarded us with cookies yet. So we have NO MILK.

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
Thank you for the reference Slappy :) That helped a lot.

BucketFish

AC Members
May 22, 2012
From my limited knowledge on the subject, I think Calc will start to drop significantly when you have a tank stocked with a lot of corals, especially SPS
Wow. Thanks be to you, my friend....I have a handful of SPS corals, introduced two new SPS only last week, and they are all growing VERY QUICKLY, particularly the two Zoa's and the Montipora I just added...perhaps that is it!! Hate to sound ignorant...but didnt think of that. Only thinking of fish-related problems...whoops.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store