• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gouramiluver

Gourami Mommy
May 31, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm new here. I have two gouramis and a otocinclus. I am a little worried because the bigger gourami chases the smaller gourami around the tank. Honestly i'm not sure if they are playing or being territorial. They are both males. Also, the bigger one chases the smaller one away from the food when I feed them. Please help!!!

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Welcome to AC. It is nice to have new members.

It sounds like you are having an issue with aggression. You could try a few things like rearrange the tank on a routine basis so that the larger gouramis does not have set boundaries in his territory and add a lot of plants and caves for the smaller gouramis to hide in. Other than that, you may have to seperate them before the smaller of the two gets killed.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Do you have all three in a 10 gallon tank or an extra 10 gallon tank? If you have them in a 10 gallon tank, you need to get a larger environment for them. That might be why they are fighting, there is not enough room for everyone to have their own territory. If you have an extra 10 gallon tank move the smaller one out into it.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Hi there and welcome to AC!! :D

What type of gourami's do you have? If you don't know the type, what color do you have? :)

Nepherael

AC Members
May 11, 2012
Warsaw, IN
Real Name
Brandon
Yeah they keep multiple gouramis in the tanks at my local fish store so at first I thought that was fine. Then I asked on here and was basically told not to do it unless I have a big tank with lots of view restriction (like plants and hidey holes) and maybe not even then. It still makes me wonder why they are fine at the lfs, maybe it's because there are so many of them? Eh iono

Welcome to AC, everyone here is great and will help you out with anything you have questions about

Gouramiluver

Gourami Mommy
May 31, 2012
Austin, TX
I have Dwarf gouramis, one mostly blue with red waves and red on the tips of his fins an one mostly red with bold red waves and blue on the tips of his fins.

Gouramiluver

Gourami Mommy
May 31, 2012
Austin, TX
I made a hidey hole for the smaller gourami. (william) And now her can hide from the bigger gourami. (charles) I am especially fond of charles. Since the fish tank is right next to the desk I am watching them now. Now it is pretty much that one fish gets in the other fishes territory that fish will chase the other fish out. Now I think they are better, but charles is still king of the tank!

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Yeah they keep multiple gouramis in the tanks at my local fish store so at first I thought that was fine. Then I asked on here and was basically told not to do it unless I have a big tank with lots of view restriction (like plants and hidey holes) and maybe not even then. It still makes me wonder why they are fine at the lfs, maybe it's because there are so many of them? Eh iono
Store tanks are strictly intended to sell stock, not to provide long-term care for the fish, so they are typically overstocked (and sometimes stocked with badly mixed fish that shouldn't be together). Stock tanks in stores should never be used as guidelines for how to stock tanks at home. Display tanks in stores are a different thing: They are usually well planted, have lots of wood/decor and are stocked with relatively good numbers of fish that go together. Not always, but usually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store