Some Sort of Ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gbolton

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
The Woodlands, Texas
Visit site
Ok I quarantined mr Flame Hawk for two weeks with no sign of any disease then I moved him into the main tank and now he has some sort of ich. How can I treat him in the tank are there any efective medicines that are reef safe. I do not want to have to pull out 180lbs of live rock to treat this guy. Other fish seem fine for now but that can change as we all know.

gbolton

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
The Woodlands, Texas
Visit site
Good article I will take a look at this when I go the LFS in a few minutes. Will be looking at UV, cleaner animals, chemical treatments or combination of some sort. Really don't want to have to tear the whole tank down to requarantine and treat but it may come to that.

gbolton

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
The Woodlands, Texas
Visit site
Ok so heres results after day 1. I dripped in the Kent RxP at 80% or reccomended dosage. I stopped my RO top off and when the tank was about 1 gallon down I used an AquaDose system to add the RxP with a gallon of RO. The only noticable difference in the tank was the mushrooms closed up a bit, but not to bad. By this moring the Flame Hawk appears to have about 40-50% less white spots on him. I will continue the treatment for the 13 day regimen and keep updated about anything I notice.

Also I fed twice yesterday in smaller amounts the first time just mysis shrimp and the fish were slow to eat. Could be from the RxP could just be they are usually only fed at night. The second feeding was also mysis shrimp at normal feeding time but soaked with two drops of garlic extreme and this caused a feeding frenzy. Definetly went for the food with more aggression than normal.

gbolton

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
The Woodlands, Texas
Visit site
Ok latest update. After two treatments of the RxP there is no sign of ick on the flame hawk and no other fish have developed signs.

The flame hawk is still slow to eat but not sure if its just his way as he swims around much more now and looks good. Just doesnt eat as aggresively as my previous hawian hawk fish.

Anyways back to the treatment. I did notice the mushrooms closing again but only for about 45 minutes.

Nothing else to report at this time will keep updated.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I've used ruby reef kick ich in my reef and it's worked and not caused any harm to my inverts. Just another idea if the kent stuff doesn't work but, sound like it's going to.
chris

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Glad it's working! We should start a list of medications we've used personally, what it was for, and how well it worked.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store