Water Changes and Fish Behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
South American Cichlids have so much personality it is hard to think of them as fish and not a member of the family. I have noticed that when I do my water changes each one of the fish in my SA Cichlid tank behaves in a differant way. The most notible behavior is that of my Oscar who full out pouts the whole time. He lays on the bottom of the substrate and glares at me the whole time. Anyone who messes with him, beware.friday 096.jpgOscar Yawning with FH.jpgfriday 027.jpgsat 013.jpgfriday 037.jpgfriday 091.jpgfriday 137.jpg I sat down with a camera at my last water change and got a few interesting behavioural shots. I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I do.

friday 096.jpg Oscar Yawning with FH.jpg friday 027.jpg sat 013.jpg friday 037.jpg friday 091.jpg friday 137.jpg

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
I'm hearting that grouchy oscar.

What's that adorable orange fellow in the last pic?? (I can spot an oscar but that's about it for me and SA cichlids, so I don't know what your fish are.)

My harlies and kubotai will not stop playing in the new water as it's flowing into the tank. The more flow the better, as far as they are concerned! I don't know if they mistake tiny bubbles for food, or if it's just that stuff gets stirred up during WC or if they just like the current ... but they are crazy-swimming the whole time. Shrimpies also go crazy, but my otos don't seem to care one way or the other about WC. (Not a surprise since stirring the substrate doesn't do anything for them. It's more time of day that determines their activity level.)

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
my oscar will pout sometimes and othertimes he will try to bite the gravel vac. here lately he ignores the gravel vac and goes for my fingers!!

MrMann

AC Members
Jul 6, 2012
My umbees love water change time, when I refill the tank they stay in the stream of new water and enjoy it. It seems to pep them up and make them happy

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
What's that adorable orange fellow in the last pic?? (I can spot an oscar but that's about it for me and SA cichlids, so I don't know what your fish are.)
looks to be a blood parrot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store