RANT

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
Why do people come here looking for advice and then when you tell them what they don't want to hear or believe it is you who is wrong? I just don't understand, there are people here who have been keeping fish longer than I have been alive and yet I still continue to see members argue with them that they are wrong, I just don't understand. I know people can be wrong but why come somewhere looking for advice if you aren't going to take it?

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
Sometimes people get offended if they read a post as harsh or insulting. It has not happened to me here but I stopped visiting another forum because instead of helping me figure out a problem I had posted a user attacked me personally and gave a "my ways the only right way" answer that did not help at all and resulted in an arguement that was very unnecessary. I don't know of it was meant to be as personal and hateful as I read it but I felt attacked and still did not have my problem resolved in the way I was hoping.

Sometimes it is frustrating when you are trying to fix one problem and someone says you need to fix multiple problems. For an example someone with an overstocked tank will not be happy to hear they need to buy another filter or a whole new setup, especially because these people are ussually new to the hobby an unsure about investing more money into it.

axelrod12

AC Members
Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Real Name
Greg
Because some people aren't really looking for advice. They just want validation that what they are doing is ok. When they find out just how wrong they actually are, they shut down the advice given because they don't want their plans to change.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Because some people aren't really looking for advice. They just want validation that what they are doing is ok. When they find out just how wrong they actually are, they shut down the advice given because they don't want their plans to change.
I think that is the best answer I've heard yet!

One of the problems is that they may have limited funds and refuse to hear that they need to purchase "XYZ" to solve the problem. As of late I have been hearing "Oh my friend says.......................and he doesn't have a large tank.............." The advice has just been wasted.

I absolutely detest the ones that give advice about a fish they have never owned and raised because the advice is often incorrect. I try to politely tell them they are wrong and I come across as sour grapes because they may have to "work" to correct a problem. There seems to be a great reluctance to put forth effort to raise the fish correctly.

StarSapphire22

Senior Member and Goldie Enthusiast
May 3, 2012
Fargo, ND
Real Name
Jessica
I absolutely detest the ones that give advice about a fish they have never owned and raised because the advice is often incorrect.
Can I get an AMEN?! I HATE when you're trying to tell some one that they need x to fix problem y, and some one else jumps in saying "No, you need z for problem y!" Do you have a tank with that fish in it?! No sir, you do not. So shut it, gosh darn it.

garyfla

AC Members
Apr 23, 2010
Hi
Mahybe it would help if people actually read the posts ??lol Always amazed at the number of replies that ask for info that was in the original post . People are ten times more likely to follow the first reply followed by ignoring all replies
20 times more likely to follow advice that was paid for. In this forum i find it interesting how many ?? are followed by directly contradicting replies or change the subject entirely lol
Another amazing aspect is the faith in the internet. In this case people will PAY for the advice of a vet and then follow what they learned on the net?? Of course in a perfect world there would be perfect answers?? gary

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I dont know if it was here, but I know when I was getting help from a specific member but on a different forum I was like that. I think I was probably like that here as well. So as I stated in my "time for change" thread, AC helped me get started, hopefully I can start right this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store