Red jewel cichlids fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jayson6464

AC Members
Apr 8, 2012
My red jewels had spawned in my tank. This is the second try. The first did not end with live fry. But this time it has. When should I try to feed the fry? Right now I don't thing the egg sack is completely gone cause they appear to be wiggling still and not yet free swimmeres. And what is the grow rate like?

Sent from my ADR6325 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jayson6464

AC Members
Apr 8, 2012
So i got a tank divider to seperate the new found family from the other tank mates for now. I try to feed the "jewell Side" brine shimp but the parents eat most of it and just do thing the fry are big enough to eat. they a tiny at the pont. Free swim but more like a swarm; if that makes sense, most of time ride currents in the tank. I have so many questions. Should i leave the parent closed in with the fry? If so for how long? What is the rate of grow I can expect?

IMAG0107.jpgIMAG0106.jpgIMAG0105.jpg

I was cause off with these little guys but I would like to give them a fighting chance.

IMAG0107.jpg IMAG0106.jpg IMAG0105.jpg

jayson6464

AC Members
Apr 8, 2012
crushing flake into a powder seem to be working, when a do that, I can actually see the little fry feeding just like the big fish do. I just seems to make a mess in the tank or dirty up the water for a little while.

jayson6464

AC Members
Apr 8, 2012
i really need to get my Red Jewels their own tank. So I clean the tank today after moving the fry to a 10g. It was my hospital tank. Now here is the kicker. After I took the fry out the Dad started to attack the Mom and hang out with the other Jewel cichlid that I thought was a male. Well now I have new eggs spawned by this lone jewel cichlid and the original dad. Can Red Jewels change sex? Or was it a sub-female all along? I mean this fish has taken on some serious color changes since i had the trio. I thought it was just trying to mimic every color the other two made.

Can i take the rock out of the tank and move it to another tank before they hatch or before the parents move the eggs this time?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store